Blocky textures on .OBJ files

Hi all,

I’ve been searching the boards, but am at a loss as to how you can have anti-aliased (mipmapped?) textures on .OBJ files (specifically OBJ files exported from Google SketchUp).  From what I have found, there are ways to do it if you are specifying a separate Texture (e.g. “TextureManager.loadTexture”), but my textures are being read from a .MTL file automatically by the ObjToJme converter.

To better illustrate my problem, here is a screenshot of how the object looks in SketchUp.  The textures are smoothed/filtered (not sure on the term):

Click here for Full screenshot

Here is how the exported .OBJ currently looks in jME:

Click here for Full screenshot

The code I am using is basically the “TestObjJmeWrite” sample:

public class TestObjJmeWrite extends SimpleGame{

public static void main(String[] args) {

TestObjJmeWrite app=new TestObjJmeWrite();

app.setDialogBehaviour(AbstractGame.FIRSTRUN_OR_NOCONFIGFILE_SHOW_PROPS_DIALOG);

app.start();

}

protected void simpleInitGame() {

ObjToJme converter=new ObjToJme();

try {

URL objFile= TestObjJmeWrite.class.getClassLoader().getResource(“data/Test.obj”);

converter.setProperty(“mtllib”,objFile);

converter.setProperty(“texdir”,objFile);

ByteArrayOutputStream BO=new ByteArrayOutputStream();

System.out.println(“Starting to convert .obj to .jme”);

converter.convert(objFile.openStream(),BO);

System.out.println(“Done converting, now watch how fast it loads!”);

long time=System.currentTimeMillis();

Node r=(Node)BinaryImporter.getInstance().load(new ByteArrayInputStream(BO.toByteArray()));

System.out.println("Finished loading time is "+(System.currentTimeMillis()-time));

r.setLocalScale(.1f);

rootNode.attachChild(r);

} catch (IOException e) {

e.printStackTrace();

}

}

}

There must be something simple I’m missing :?.  Any help would be much appreciated!  :slight_smile:

Looks like the default texture settings (LINEAR/LINEAR with tex compression) for OBJ loading are not ideal for your model.  I don't recall, but I doubt the old OBJ loader had a way to modify the texture settings during load.

I had this problem a while back, for me it was the compression. I clear the texture state of my .obj models and apply again with

Image.GUESS_FORMAT_NO_S3TC

option and the blocky goes away.  :slight_smile:

Hi mud2005/renanse,

Thanks for your suggestions.  Sorry to be a complete noobie, but I've tried playing around with setting "GUESS_FORMAT_NO_S3TC", but I can't seem to get it looking any better, but I'm probably doing it wrong.

Would you be able to give me a code sample of how to set this GUESS_FORMAT_NO_S3TC flag in my code (as listed in the first post)?  Do I really have to reload each individual texture (bearing in mind that some .OBJ files could have lots of Textures each)

Many thanks for your help.

TextureManager.loadTexture(url,
               Texture.MM_LINEAR, Texture.FM_LINEAR,
               Image.GUESS_FORMAT_NO_S3TC, 1.0f, false);

Thanks mud2005,

I'm still not managing to get it to work, but I'll keep playing at it.

renanse: You say "old OBJ loader"… is there are newer way of doing this?  I just pulled the code from the latest example (test) code.  As I have multiple textures per .OBJ file, I really dont want to be re-applying every texture manually.

Thanks all again for your assistance.

I just mean, it was made a long time ago and aside from tweaks to decrease processing time and so forth, has not been looked at for feature support in quite a while.