Blogging

At the end of a week, month, or year I wonder where the time went. What did I accomplish?

Inspired by @pspeed 's livestreams, I recently launched a blog at Tumblr, to serve as a diary of my open-source software activities and perhaps share some programmer humor. It’s called “Tinkering in Public”. I encourage interested folks to read, follow, and reply.

• Do any other JME devs/users have blogs we should know about?
14 Likes

Not entirely sure if this counts as a blog, but I have posted a few blog-like articles about my game and the development process on my IndieDB page. Aside from my posts here on the JME hub, IndieDB is the only other place I’ve documented any part of my game dev journey since I started working with JME.

7 Likes

Sure that counts!

I wish more indie game devs kept blogs like yours.

1 Like

Mine is woefully out of date. As constraints on my time have gone up, I’ve limited myself more to just working on code - perhaps not always an optimal choice.

If you’re interested, it’s here: MyWorld (Page 1)

3 Likes

I started re-formating my tech-demos at the AvrSandbox project into a form of blog (well, it’s more likely a tutorial page), I am writing about Embedded Systems, Digital Electronics, Circuit Components, Unix POSIX Programming and some of my prototype projects with jMonkeyEngine.

Here is the root page:

The currently available topics are:

1. Binary Decoders
  2. Multiplexers
  3. Operating MCP3008 ADC in the SPI Mode
  4. Monitoring USB UART over a SerialMonitor API built on top of jSerialComm (it’s the same API utilized now by Serial4j)

There are a lot of other ready tutorials, but they are not deployed, yet.

I plan to expand the Embedded Systems and Circuit control to a new project, probably jme3-embedded or something, most likely data will be synchronized over USB UART and/or Server sockets, interfacing sensors and custom gamepads on a jMonkeyEngine Application will be cool I guess.

3 Likes

I’ve been devblogging for 3 months now. Going in, I knew that Tumblr (a site better known for adult content, progressive politics, and manga) was a non-traditional platform for devblogging, but I knew people there and liked its web interface, so I persevered.

Since then, I’ve acquired 7 followers and posted to my blog 72 times: a mix of activity/progress reports, programmer humor, software news, war stories, and computing history. I enjoy posting, though sometimes it eats into my software-development time. I’m particularly proud of my series back in mid-April about the ignore-list cloning bug.

Here’s the link again, in case you missed it: Tinkering in Public on Tumblr

And here’s the RSS feed: Tinkering in Public

8 Likes