Bringing JME to the Ruby World

Occasionally when I have some free time, I find myself messing with jMonkeyEngine and JRuby. I’ve decided to release a ruby gem to make it easier for others to get in on the fun.

Right now the gem works pretty well, but the issue is that it’s really large. I’m wondering if you guys could just take a look and see if there’s anything I’m including that might be deprecated, or not being used at all. Mainly in the lib directory in here.

Thanks,
~Jeremy

3 Likes

test_data is probably the one you want to remove or at least install as a separate gem. It’s around 45mb
If it’s not enough you can make several separate gems for physics, effects, nifty, networking, blender etc…
But IMO removing the test data will do the trick.

Sweet! Thanks! That’s not a bad idea to bust it out into multiple gems. I could do something like

gem 'jmonkeyengine-core'
gem 'jmonkeyengine-physics'

I’ll have to think about that a bit, but it gives me some ideas.

You should also omit everything from the opt directory as you seem to just have put it in there as well. You don’t need jogl or the native bullet implementation (and should definitely have both jme3-jbullet and jme3-bullet in there.

Heres info on the parts that make up the engine:
http://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/doku.php/jme3:jme3_source_structure

I should have both jme3-jbullet and jme3-bullet or should not have both? If the latter, is there a preference over one vs the other? Like, is there a plan to deprecate one over the other?

Sorry, missed a “not” there. Just read the wiki post I linked. jBullet is the preferred version, native bullet is in alpha, thats why its in the “opt” folder.

Sounds good! Thanks :smile:

I see that the jME3-testdata.jar file contains all those samples.

Does jME just check the CLASSPATH for this jar? I’m wondering how I can tell jME where the location of this jar is. All of the examples I’ve come up with mention how to do it from the editor, but not how to do it manually.

Ok, I figured it out. For my scenario, I needed to add the jars into the $LOAD_PATH and then require then as opposed to adding them to the $CLASSPATH. So I was able to get it working.

For people using JRuby, you can now do gem 'jmonkeyengine-testdata' and then just include JMonkeyEngine::TestData where ever you need access to those files!

:smiley:

1 Like