Browser Applet Error While Downloading Packages

First off, I am new to game development in general, and this is some of my first experiences using JME. My goal currently is to host a website with my “game” running on that page as an applet that can be connected to remotely. I am hosting an IIS7 web server on my windows 7 system, and this web server is hosting the Browser Applet that was created by the SDK. I am able to run the applet just fine opening the page locally, but when I connect to the web server and try to load the applet, it fails to download packages.
if you would like to try to connect to my site yourself to see what happens yourself, the URL is http://75.97.10.213/, I will leave it online for a while until I can resolve this issue.
as I said, I can open the run-applet.html file in google chrome and internet explorer and it works fine (packages all download and the colorful little cube of the default application shows up fine)
I assume that I’m making an obvious newbie mistake, and I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction so I can understand why this isn’t working as desired.
Thank you all in advance for taking the time to look at my issue.

error:
java.lang.Exception: Unable to get input stream for lwjgl.jar.pack.lzma
at org.lwjgl.util.applet.AppletLoader.getJarInputStream(AppletLoader.java:1603)
at org.lwjgl.util.applet.AppletLoader.downloadJars(AppletLoader.java:1475)
at org.lwjgl.util.applet.AppletLoader.run(AppletLoader.java:871)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
This occurred while ‘Downloading packages’
failed to download lwjgl.jar.pack.lzma after 3 attempts
java.lang.Exception: failed to download lwjgl.jar.pack.lzma after 3 attempts
at org.lwjgl.util.applet.AppletLoader.downloadJars(AppletLoader.java:1551)

I don’t know the answer, but i can’t even get my game to work locally (in an html doc). :frowning: this is all i can get from it:

MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp><applet-desc>main-class]
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLUtils.getRequiredAttribute(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLUtils.getClassName(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.buildAppletDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory._buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.initialize(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.client.PluginMain.initManager(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.client.PluginMain.access$200(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.client.PluginMain$2.run(Unknown Source)
Error while initializing manager: MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp><applet-desc>main-class], bail out

You need to upload all the files in the applet folder to the server. Its saying that the file “lwjgl.jar.pack.lzma” is missing from the server.

Ty for the reply momoko, but I do believe that it is hosted on the server. I have IIS configured to host my site from directory “Site” and the default page is “run-applet.html”, I copied all the contents of dist/applet after a clean build into the “Site” directory, including the lwjgl.jar.pack.lzma file. It says it is shared so i’m unsure of why it can’t find the file, because it is located in the directory that the site is hosted from, and also it seems to load “code.jar” properly and then fails to load anything after that. I’ll keep messing around with it, i’m sure im missing something. I’m sure once I figure it out ill have a good facepalm for being such a noob lol. IF anybody has had any similar issues trying to host their applet from their own IIS web server, i’d appreciate any input. Thank you for the responses so far

Your site is down so I can’t look at your jnlp… can you post it?

Edit: I’m already probably making too many assumptions.

Ah, you are right, turns out my ISP blocks port 80 so I cant host a web server on that port, I am now hosting it on port 30495
so try 75.97.10.213:30495

EDIT: and what JNLP? I created a new project using the basicgame template, made no changes and cleaned and built it into a browser applet, then copied the contents of the applet folder into my web server and set the run-applet.html page as the default home page. like I said, all im trying to do is to get the applet to load correctly over the internet, I haven’t started making changes to the applet itself yet

I have resolved this issue. I found that the .lzma file extension wasn’t configured in IIS.
I added the “.lzma” extension with MIME type “application/x-lzma” and now the files are transferred properly. Thanks for the help guys :slight_smile:
I can now connect to my site using a computer on a different network, the files are downloaded, and the colorful little box ive been hoping for now appears :slight_smile:
now to continue messing around with this and seeing what I can do

@Erisat said: Ah, you are right, turns out my ISP blocks port 80 so I cant host a web server on that port, I am now hosting it on port 30495 so try 75.97.10.213:30495

EDIT: and what JNLP? I created a new project using the basicgame template, made no changes and cleaned and built it into a browser applet, then copied the contents of the applet folder into my web server and set the run-applet.html page as the default home page. like I said, all im trying to do is to get the applet to load correctly over the internet, I haven’t started making changes to the applet itself yet

Yeah, that was the assumption I was afraid I was making. I forget that people still deploy applets without jnlp files.