[Bug] no key event when using StandardGame with JOGL and AWT

When I launch JMEJOGLAWTTest, the key listener works fine. However, when I use StandardGame, whatever I do, when I try to listener to the key events, nothing works. I tried to put listeners onto all components, the frame, the canvas, etc; I tried to use InputHandler, I tried to use KeyInput.get() and then put a listener, nothing worked. I tried to use it with full-screen mode disabled, the problem is the same. I have spent several days to find a solution, I really need some help. Can you give a look at my source code? There are only 6 classes in the package “jme” on this repository :

https://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tuer/

Core-Dump said:

i'm afraid i have no time to look into it, just use lwjgl for now :)

I will [size=50pt]NEVER[/size] use LWJGL and what you suggest is highly improper, unsuitable, insulting and not respectful. I have spent some weeks to fix lots of bugs in the JOGL renderer and in the AWT input system, your suggestion is not acceptable, I'm going to write a shorter test case and to submit a bug report. Maybe I don't know enough JME to be sure that is a bug or an error of my fault, that is why I was asking for help. I hate this discrimination against JOGL, I will complain about such behaviors as much as possible. What you say doesn't make me laugh at all, I'm tired, I thought I could write a small blueprint of the new version of my game using JME this time and you only try to discourage me to use JOGL. I'm fed up! You can't imagine my sadness, I have to participate to a demonstration of my game in February 2009 and I have been already wasting days because of this bug/problem/misuse. I have worked on my game for 2 years, I'm very disappointed. I understand that you don't have time to look at it but you shouldn't laugh about me, it is a gratuitous provocation whereas I have no time and I'm not in the mood for joking, really  :x

While you're entitled to choose JOGL and it's IMO good to have people working on that side of things, please bear in mind that most other users are only familiar with LWJGL. I don't think people have anything against JOGL - in fact when it was not supported there were a lot of people wanting it. But it's not what most people are using, so the number of people who can help is considerably less.



Personally, I don't use JOGL, or GameControls or even StandardGame so I really shouldn't be on this thread at all  :expressionless:

I have submitted a bug report with a short testcase:

https://jme.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=282



I don't know JME enough to solve this problem alone, I need some help.

i'm afraid i have no time to look into it, just use lwjgl for now :slight_smile:

gouessej said:

what you suggest is highly improper, unsuitable, insulting and not respectful

I am pretty sure that you have thoroughly misunderstood CoreDump there. In fact I think that the attributes you are using here apply far better to you freaking out about being advised to use the better supported LWJGL!

It is not a secret that LWJGL is jME's preferred GL access layer, simply because that's what was chosen in the beginning of jME, and keeping up with one library's changes is more than enough for most of us.

JOGL support is still experimental, that's why people tend to advise to just use LWJGL - and certainly not because everybody here likes to discriminate JOGL for some obscure reason!

Please try to keep paranoia and shouting at the refreshingly low level this forum is known for. Thank you very much.
hevee said:

gouessej said:

what you suggest is highly improper, unsuitable, insulting and not respectful

I am pretty sure that you have thoroughly misunderstood CoreDump there. In fact I think that the attributes you are using here apply far better to you freaking out about being advised to use the better supported LWJGL!

It is not a secret that LWJGL is jME's preferred GL access layer, simply because that's what was chosen in the beginning of jME, and keeping up with one library's changes is more than enough for most of us.

JOGL support is still experimental, that's why people tend to advise to just use LWJGL - and certainly not because everybody here likes to discriminate JOGL for some obscure reason!

Please try to keep paranoia and shouting at the refreshingly low level this forum is known for. Thank you very much.

Thank you for your bad advice. There is no paranoia, I need some help to use JOGL under JME and rather than helping me, the only solution that is suggested is not to use it. I'm free to shout when I want.

i’m sorry if you misunderstood me, i really didn’t mean it like that, i think its great that you improve JOGL support with jme, alot things are still unimplemented.



For the things you can’t fix yourself, its best if you create issues on google code.

(You posted on the old java.net issue tracker which is for jme 1, which wont get any attention.)

The issue Tracker for jme 2 is located at google code here: http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/issues/list



Hopefully someone who knows jme and jogl can help improve and fix things.

I tried to use the method enableInputMethod(true) on all components without success :frowning:

Events in JOGL need to be handled by GLEventListeners. I have used JOGL in the past and have had similar and now recent problems with this and jME. I am not sure you can use the InputHandler or any of those Input* interfaces with JOGL with out a GLEventListener being proxied.

realbadapple said:

Events in JOGL need to be handled by GLEventListeners. I have used JOGL in the past and have had similar and now recent problems with this and jME. I am not sure you can use the InputHandler or any of those Input* interfaces with JOGL with out a GLEventListener being proxied.

The huge patch that I wrote with cylab solve almost all problems of JOGL with JME...