[BUG]Terrain editor deleting vertices when smoothing

Hi!

I am new to game programming, and am using jME 3 nightly build, and I noticed a bug in the terrain editor 3.0.0.9588.

When I was smoothing out the edges of my terrain, the terrain editor started eating away the vertices from the map. I wasn’t able to undo it, and from my testing it happened every single time, when I had smoothing tool selected, and the edge of my terrain was at 0. You can easily produce this bug by creating flat terrain and smoothing out the edge of the terrain.

After it starts to eat these vertices away, it will erase them regardless of the height in which it started.

Since pictures probably explain more than what I could do with words, here is pictures of what happened:

Before smoothing the edge of the terrain:

http://i.imgur.com/MtZ0F.jpg

After smoothing the edge of the terrain:

http://i.imgur.com/Fr7vm.jpg

THIS BUG IS FROM 2012?!!

Forgive me my shouting, but a terrain tool that starts deleting the terrain is kind of a significant bug, isn’t it?
Or does it only happen on his and my machine?

The problem is just as he described: The smoothing tool cannot be used at the edges.
Even worse: You cant undo this. So if you have edited your terrain for quite a while and didn’t save for 10 minutes…

Do you already know of this issue?
I hope it’s just a simple wrong line of code somewhere.

Ah, btw, I have images as well - a simple flat terrain:

Before:

After:

When you take a look at it in wireframe mode, you can clearly see that those faces are not black, but missing.
If you save the scene and open it again, the bug remains.

I’ll take a look at what is causing it. The smooth tool just modifies the height, so I’m not sure why those vertices are missing.

1 Like
@Sploreg said: I'll take a look at what is causing it. The smooth tool just modifies the height, so I'm not sure why those vertices are missing.

Thank you very much.
I actually thought about having a look at the code myself, but didn’t have time for that until now.

And I noticed the downvote on my previous post.
I’m sorry.
I was just a bit upset… :roll:

I’ve probably just gotten used to the 5-star support nowadays.
It seems like today no post goes unanswered around here.

1 Like
@m41q said: Thank you very much. I actually thought about having a look at the code myself, but didn't have time for that until now.

Note: that is the same reason a bug can exist since 2012. :slight_smile:

None of us get paid for this. We squeeze it in between day jobs, working on our own projects, dealing with family illness, whatever. So sometimes we are also in the same boat regarding time to look at something.

Now, on the other hand, if there are actual bug-fix patches that aren’t getting applied… then you have more reason to be angry with use. :slight_smile:

I just never saw this post. And the notifications from the groups don’t seem to happen any more so I have to scour the forums daily to catch everything, and that just doesn’t happen =/
I upvoted your apology, so it balances out now =)

And that.

When in doubt, blame the forum! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

@pspeed
Sure, totally understandable. Keep up the work!

@both
It’s all good :slight_smile:

Alright @m41q I committed the change. If you want quick access to the fix (along with an increase in the tool radius size) you will have to check out and build the SDK yourself or run from the nightly version of the SDK and wait for it to process tonight.

1 Like
@Sploreg said: Alright @m41q I committed the change. If you want quick access to the fix (along with an increase in the tool radius size) you will have to check out and build the SDK yourself or run from the nightly version of the SDK and wait for it to process tonight.

Thank you!
May I ask where the bug was?
I looked at the source myself, but couldn’t find anything suspicious.

http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/source/detail?r=11014

@pspeed said: http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/source/detail?r=11014

Oh yes… Should’ve thought about that myself =D
I just started using version control a few months ago.
Ok, everything is fixed now. Thanks again!

Probably already been mentioned, but incase it wasn’t: The second set of pictures isn’t losing vertices… it looks more like it is painting transparency onto the texture.

@t0neg0d said: Probably already been mentioned, but incase it wasn't: The second set of pictures isn't losing vertices... it looks more like it is painting transparency onto the texture.

Actually, I believe the triangles were ending up with one (or more) vertex as NaN and so weren’t being drawn at all.

@pspeed is correct

Awesome… glad you all got it worked out.