BUI stuffs

I do have a question so be patient please:)

I have been spending a whole lot of time working with BUI.  I've been spending the last few nights working on wiki entries and putting javadocs in the work that I have done.

I, eventually, would like to merge these changes with the BUI core b/c I've made a few modifications, but everything is backwards compatible.  I'm waiting on a reply for eventual merging.

In the meantime, I have a complete set of the library that I've been messing with and have written quite a few more tests and examples… e.g. DialogBox, InputBox, MessageBox, the GameControlEditor (in BUI) and a few other things.

I don't want to release the jars as BUI when they're my work with BUI inclusive of changes to the core API… I'm not a developer on BUI, but I have done a lot of work.

Would it be wrong for me to post links to my wiki and downloads on BUI for those who want to, to test as a "beta" more or less?

I like the changes I've made, and I'm sure there are improvements that could be made, I'd really like to hear what others have to say about the work, but I don't want to step on anyone else's toes.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

thx,

timo

Sounds like a question mostly for Michael Bayne at Three Rings.  I assume that's who you are waiting for a reply from?

In any case:

1. You already have permission to do that, they willingly stuck a license file in there giving you permission to that kind of thing (as long as you include the source of your changes, I believe BUI is LGPL). I'm sure they won't take offence, and it seems you already thought of making sure people do not get confused what the official "BUI" release is.

2. Of course, that doesn't mean 3Rings won't be intrested to see what you've done with it. I assume they didn't open source it just to look good or anything. I think they do read the forums, but I don't know if that includes OffTopic. As a general rule, if you do something with a piece of code someone else put online, they'll be delighted if you send them an email or something like that, showing what you did with it.

last time i wrote a mail to samskivert (and it was quite some time ago) it took quite a while until he answered. they were quite busy with bang! howdy at that time. back then he also said he doesn't have much time to read the jme board.

just be patient if he doesn't answer right away. i'm sure he'll be glad to look at your contributions and eventually merge them with BUI (after he applies that horrifying BUI coding style to them :stuck_out_tongue: )

@renanse I am waiting for a reply from him

@ llama 1) that’s what I read as well… and I’ve included the same license in the new code I wrote as well as the @author and @since.

Yes, I don’t want ANYONE to be confused that this is official BUI (yet?).

2) I agree, and that’s why I’ve written Michael asking for his review.

@sfera  it hasn’t been that long (most of this week, maybe?)

I just wanted to ensure that no one else thought I might be “jumping the gun” or anything… after all, I did do quite a few changes to the core, if it wasn’t for those, I’d release them as a like BUI-extensions or something. 

@sfera  I liked what you had done with the Stack and I put that into my changes as well, but at the core level.  Which I have a wiki portion on those changes.

If anyone wants to check out the changes you can look them up on my wiki (http://gerbildrop.com/wiki/) (I didn’t want to “pollute” the JME wiki since these are not technically JME changes) with downloads to the source and binaries.

The zip file in the downloads area contains the entire project with build file and necessary libraries.

I’m curious to see what people think.  I’m open to any and all suggestions, comments, etc.

Thanx guys for your replies… I feel better now :slight_smile:

thx

timo

did i do something with a stack ? can't remember  XD

Stack<BWindow> history

to push and pop the history for navigation.

Sfera pointed out that my link doesn’t work… that’s what I get for upgrading servers and not updating links… go figure.

Anyway, since the server was going to be down for a week (that was like a month or more ago), I put the code out on google code.

http://code.google.com/p/gbui

I do not have the wiki pages put back up yet.  I’ll do that as soon as I can.

Sfera has updated GBUI so that it works with the latest JME and he’s checking in those changes as I type.

I’ll leave the code there for a long time.

After I’m done with this contract I’ve been working on, I’ll get back into it and make more enhancements.

timo