CAL3D Loader and Viewer

ender can you please post your cal3d model.

The cal3d loader is tested with various models and it works fine( models from cal3d, planeshift, eternal-lands, various animated meshes exported from max).

The code is in early stages and the NullPointerException is going to be handled, but right now it means that you are referencing an invalid file, meaning your model configuration is invalid, so this is not a loader problem it's usage model.

Anyway wait a little until a better version is released (really soon).

kman said:
ender can you please post your cal3d model.
The cal3d loader is tested with various models and it works fine( models from cal3d, planeshift, eternal-lands, various animated meshes exported from max).

For the file just wait I little and I will publish it on to my Home Page.

The cause of the earlier unsuccessfull tests was not your loader but the Blender exporter, that do not converted the coordinate system from the Z up of Blender to the Y up of jME. Also the "Export for Soya" option was bugged in all the version of the exporter, probably the cause is that I use Blender 2.42 and many changes are done in Blender Python API from the 2.37 version. Anyway I fixed it.

In the particular case of my previous post the cause was my fault, in fact I modified the post with an intro explanation:

I must apologise.

The unsuccessfull test reported below is not valid, becouse the failure is caused by my fault.

I erroneously copyed the parameters values for the xml definition file from an old (and wrong) cfg definition file, generated by one not working Blender exporter.

kman said:
The code is in early stages and the NullPointerException is going to be handled, but right now it means that you are referencing an invalid file, meaning your model configuration is invalid, so this is not a loader problem it's usage model.
Anyway wait a little until a better version is released (really soon).

Yes, I know, and I resolved it. Anyway do not worry, my report about the Exception is to be considered as a suggestion, not a complain. I am aware of the difficulty to maintain a Open Source Project.

Thanks

This is the text I will use to communicate in different places the new fix of the blender2cal3d script.

I made a modified version of the blender2cal3d exporter I found on the Purple World Forge project site blender2cal3d_2.py.

I made this new one because all the version of blender2cal3d (there are many beyond the original shipped with Blender: Soya 3D, Eternal Lands, World Forge) I tested with Blender 2.42a were broken.

This fix, made “Export for Soya” button to work correctly and flipping coordinate system orientation with Y looking upward, to export characters for engines like Soya 3D or jME.

To download the exporter please visit http://endercg.altervista.org/.

i wonder if this has been updated since those 3 years? ^^

btw: i'm searching since a few hours and simply couldn't find an cal3d exporter-plugin for maya, maybe you can help me?

firestorm696 said:

i wonder if this has been updated since those 3 years? ^^

btw: i'm searching since a few hours and simply couldn't find an cal3d exporter-plugin for maya, maybe you can help me?

I think this is pretty much dead, given the time passed, the fact that their didn't seem to be be high interest outside the original author who has since left.................I assume, do the links even still work???, md5 is the most reliable solution for jme right now there is a maya script aswell...............urr somewhere around here.......u'll need to do a search though

is md5 actually able to interpolate animations? 'cause that's why cal3d was recommended by my projectcoach… he only mentioned md2 and 3 so maybe he simply doesn't know about the possibilities of md5 (neither i do :))

You can use the neakor's MD5Importer or my "MD5 Reader 2". timong (ask him for more info) applied some modifications to make it run on top of jME 2.

I have also a "MD5 Reader 2 Refactor" (complete code rewrite) under developent, but it is still in a early stage, even if, animation blending will be one of our main goals.

Old "MD5 Reader 2" can be found in the CVS repository of SourceForge (make a search for "MD5 Reader 2" and you will find the home page). The refactor, is in the SVN repository, same home page.