i nedded camera animation at some point. not just camera movement along a curve. as far as i found out, you were just able to choose between a fixed direction of the camera while the movement or the camera facing toward a spatial or things like that.
Use Case for CAC:
You move your camera through a scene with mouse-look and keyboard (i use FirstPersonHandler) and every now and then you push a button that writes all four (location, left, up, direction) camera vectors to a console or whereever. You pass four curves based on Arrays of Vector3f objects to the camera controller and voila: the camera moves as before, nicely round and it is facing where you want it to face.
i am quite sure it can be optimized but it works for me.
i use the CatmullRomCurve (provided by another jme user) for the curves.
* Copyright (c) 2003-2006 jMonkeyEngine
* All rights reserved.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
* * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
* documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* * Neither the name of 'jMonkeyEngine' nor the names of its contributors
* may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
* without specific prior written permission.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
* "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
* TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
* PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR
* CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
* EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
* PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
* PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
* LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
* NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
* SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
* @see <a href="http://www.mvps.org/directx/articles/catmull/">Catmull-Rom Splines</a>
* @author Frederik B