Can a model be dismantled?

Hi All,

I plan to have a game where in a player would perform the task of dismembering a model.Model is not moving, its a static object, like a machine.

First, is it a feasible idea?

Second, would it be too much of work in terms of modeling in blender as object may be quite complex with too many parts and as small as nuts,bolts,screws and what not?

Manish

Well if you model the parts alone, and just combine the machine in the scenegraph I don’t see much problems, in doing this.

You may need to either batch some of the models or similar if you have over 2-4 thousand, cause else the stateswitchs in the renderer for each object have quite a high overhead.

@mghildiy said:
First, is it a feasible idea?

Sounds quite feasible to me.

@mghildiy said:
Second, would it be too much of work in terms of modeling in blender as object may be quite complex with too many parts and as small as nuts,bolts,screws and what not?

...how long is a piece of string ? It all depends on your competency in Blender and the complexity of your model.

I am a noob in blender.Though I have done modeling in CAD packages like CATIA and understand geometry involved but package like blender is totally new to me.It took me several days to make a maze in blender and that too a very simple one without holes etc. So u can see.

What I am concerned about is the the scale of Blender work invovled as their would be too many parts and complex ones too?Also the kinematics/dynamics involved in taking out parts like a screw, a nut or something like an engine or clutch wire etc and all that…won’t it be too complex?

I am scared.

Manish

Well I guess the more complex and time consume part is the modeling.

Moving the objects in the scengraph is not that difficult at all, it’s more that you need to get a concept that you can use for most if not all objects so once done every model will work with it.

(Of course you could also try this with animations, but I’m neither sure that it will be easier nor sure that there are no hidden traps, since I usually don’t model.