Can you make shapes be... air?

What I would like to do, is put a round hole in a square.

Would be nice if you could take a shape.box, and fill it with a shape.cylinder… that is "air".

So that the end result is… a box with a round hole in it.

Can I do that? It doesn't seem so, but I thought I'd better ask, before doing something else.

i would try to apply a texture with a circle, filled with transparency.

the only challenge is, that by default all 6 sides of the box will have a hole in it. :slight_smile:

it would be so much easier if u can just model ur shape in a modeling tool like maya then export it into jme.

darklighter said:

Can I do that?

actually... no

if you want to create an actual shape having a hole: no, jme can't do it.

if you just want to make it look like there was a hole, then: yes, you could use the other shape to do some freaky stuff with the z-buffer so the background is rendered even if there is a shape that should block the view. this might be what you want.

anyone up to implementing code for boolean operations on meshes?

MrCoder said:

anyone up to implementing code for boolean operations on meshes?

even if it is there, id still rather use the one click boolean function in maya  :D

Alright, thanks guys :slight_smile:

And yes, the task is a shape with an actual hole, not just a shape that looks asthough it has a hole.

Thought I'd have to go learn modelling for this.

So… anyone know of a free 3D modelling tool?

darklighter said:

Alright, thanks guys :)

And yes, the task is a shape with an actual hole, not just a shape that looks asthough it has a hole.

Thought I'd have to go learn modelling for this.
So... anyone know of a free 3D modelling tool?

blender is the best free modeling tool

This can be implemented quite nicely with the stencil buffer, though I don't see many applications for this…