Can't get my app to run on OSX 10.8 even with latest Java version installed

Alright, so I have made a bunch of tests, like run without changing the “resolution” which is the screen size, and/or making it 1024x768 and/or showing the launcher settings window… NONE OF THIS helped. I extracted the Java folder out of the app contents and it turns out OSX was not spitting out the information window that it should have in the first place before crashing. I had to install the JDK on that Mac for my app to run. Isn’t JAVA runtimes enough normally? I don’t understand why a user should install the JDK to run a compiled app. Anybody cares to explain this to me? And is there a way to not make the program crash obscurly like this but instead maybe show a warning and open a browser to the JDK download page instead??

@.Ben. said: Alright, so I have made a bunch of tests, like run without changing the "resolution" which is the screen size, and/or making it 1024x768 and/or showing the launcher settings window... NONE OF THIS helped. I extracted the Java folder out of the app contents and it turns out OSX was not spitting out the information window that it should have in the first place before crashing. I had to install the JDK on that Mac for my app to run. Isn't JAVA runtimes enough normally? I don't understand why a user should install the JDK to run a compiled app. Anybody cares to explain this to me? And is there a way to not make the program crash obscurly like this but instead maybe show a warning and open a browser to the JDK download page instead??

What was the error?

@.Ben. said: Alright, so I have made a bunch of tests, like run without changing the "resolution" which is the screen size, and/or making it 1024x768 and/or showing the launcher settings window... NONE OF THIS helped. I extracted the Java folder out of the app contents and it turns out OSX was not spitting out the information window that it should have in the first place before crashing. I had to install the JDK on that Mac for my app to run. Isn't JAVA runtimes enough normally? I don't understand why a user should install the JDK to run a compiled app. Anybody cares to explain this to me? And is there a way to not make the program crash obscurly like this but instead maybe show a warning and open a browser to the JDK download page instead??

Ask Oracle, the runner stub is from them.

Paul, when I extracted the Java folder out and double clicked the JAR file, the error was like: To execute “java -jar Test8b.jar” you need to install Java JDK.

I was very surprised because 1) There was already Java runtimes up to date on this Mac and 2) the app stub never bubbled up to me that very simple error.

I would have liked the stub to automatically open my browser to the JDK download page. Nobody will know what this is or how to download this and even more so if the stub just crashes for no apparent reason without telling the user they miss the JDK software. Why is this even required when the runtimes are present?

Take a look at
http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/
maybee that helps.

Btw I suggest to bundle a jre/jdk with your application.
Thne have a start shell script, that starts the bundled, if no normally installed is found.
Launch4j already dos part of this.

Interesting. I really think that JME should take care of this for us tough. It’s an important part of the deployment strategy.

@.Ben. said: Interesting. I really think that JME should take care of this for us tough. It's an important part of the deployment strategy.

I don’t think so,
jme should only do what it is designed for, I then can use small specialized solutions for what they are designed for.
There are like 100 different ways to distribute/install/start a java application.

(I would go so far and saying doing in the sdk more than throwing out a jar is in my eyes to much and not what it should be focused on.)

It’s just my opinion: I see what you mean, but then why is JME half way compiling it to a stub? I mean… it could just spit out a JAR file if it’s not its task to compile to a 100% functional launching stub. Now it’s like halfway done and it’s rather confusing because we take it for granted that JME should do the whole thing while it’s not its task.

@.Ben. said: Interesting. I really think that JME should take care of this for us tough. It's an important part of the deployment strategy.

Well there is the function to deploy an application and it works fine for me. I already fixed it when Apple decided to not make their stub work anymore. Now I get a very vague issue description from you and have to magically fix the issue by knowing about it? Note, in your statement I could replace “jME” with “normen” and “us” with “me” because there is no other “jME” that does this and there is no other “us” who reported issues or any useful information about issues on this. So just cut the demanding attitude and see if you can fix your problem and help others in the process.

What’s vague about my report? It couldn’t be clearer: OSX says you have to install the JDK. That’s it. But this error never shows from the stub. Why are you so upset? I’m just here to report an issue that I think is important and I’m getting backed off by you like I was the only person to find out that my app doesn’t work on OSX that does not have JDK installed, like if anybody I distribute my app to would ever know what the Java Development Kit was or how to even install it in the first place. If I’m taking my own time to push it here on the forums, it’s because unlike you, people don’t know much about computer programming and therefore, I think JME should dodge those pitfalls to the users. But, even if I’m completely mistaken or can’t fix my own problem and COME HERE TO ASK HELP, why are you so upset?

@.Ben. said: What's vague about my report? It couldn't be clearer: OSX says you have to install the JDK. That's it. But this error never shows from the stub. Why are you so upset? I'm just here to report an issue that I think is important and I'm getting backed off by you like I was the only person to find out that my app doesn't work on OSX that does not have JDK installed, like if anybody I distribute my app to would ever know what the Java Development Kit was or how to even install it in the first place. If I'm taking my own time to push it here on the forums, it's because unlike you, people don't know much about computer programming and therefore, I think JME should dodge those pitfalls to the users. But, even if I'm completely mistaken or can't fix my own problem and COME HERE TO ASK HELP, why are you so upset?

I am not upset, you are. You tell me what you think others should do and complain that its not the case. I tell you how you can solve your issues and explain that those “others” is just me. (And you if you care to solve the issue)

No, wait. You get this too much personal I think. First, I never thought you were the ONLY person working on this aspect of JME… so if I stumped on your feelings for X reason while discussing the issue, i’m sorry, it’s not what I was intending to do at all. I’m not seeing this being your fault or anybody’s fault in particular.

Also, I’m not here to COMPLAIN about JME being this or that or demanding whatever or that somebody does it for me. No. I just think JME is a very cool open source platform but it always has room for improvement right? Isn’t what the documentation says about contributing? Isn’t what a part of these forums are for? That’s what I feel I’m doing by taking my own time to tell you that it’s counter-intuitive and leads to hours of people’s time loss while it could be so much simpler for all of us. It works on your Mac because you already got the JDK, but WHO HAS THAT installed if they’re not a programmer? Nobody. I got some answers, like use Launch4j which I did when I was programming my own LWJGL game engine last year. I know it’s a solution for me, but is that where we’re heading? Everybody uses a third party launcher. OK, well… if it’s the solution why not replace the stub we have right now by Launch4j when compiling? Again, it’s just a suggestion. If I’m mistaken then don’t get upset, I’m not upset, but you’re talking about my attitude and you sound like you’re upset.

@.Ben. said: No, wait. You get this too much personal I think. First, I never thought you were the ONLY person working on this aspect of JME...

You misunderstand me. I say that it is a FACT that I am the only one working on this particular feature. I added launch4j for windows and the old Apple stub (now the Oracle stub) and build targets for them. Nobody else is helping with that, working on that or otherwise involved with that.

Does that represent a lot of work to you to swap the Oracle stub for Launch4j for the OSX compilation?

@.Ben. : Thanks for finding this. I have/had also end users with crashing jME applications on OS X.

@normen : I really appreciate the desktop/mobile deployment options.

@.Ben. said: Does that represent a lot of work to you to swap the Oracle stub for Launch4j for the OSX compilation?

Since Oracle introduced the JRE on Mac (before you would always have the full JDK) and all paths changed its quite cumbersome doing anything like this on mac atm. But you can see for yourself, all code and build targets are available to you. I don’t have much time for jME development at all at the moment. But again, its working fine for me with the latest OSX and until you managed to make it work from a jar file you probably shouldn’t really have to dig into this bit too much.

I do not feel confident about my skills yet to actually go that route, but I understand your situation about not having lots of time to dedicate to JME right now. Maybe later. Maybe somebody can help us with this?