Can't run in a small window on dual monitor Linux

Hi Folks,

I’ve had good luck with jME on WIndows, and am now using it on a Linux machine. I built from CVS, but had trouble getting jME to run for awhile. Eventually I dl’ed the newest lwjgl(0.96) and replaced all the jars and sos in ./lib with the newer lwjgl stuff. All is good except…

I can only get one window size to show up an as option. 2560x1024@24bpp@85Hz. Besides being huge, the window doesn’t align properly on the desktop. If run fullscreen, it displays at this giant res, but only one one of the 2 monitors. So I only get a fraction of the image actually displayed.

Standalone Lwjgl seems to have the same problem too.

This is with either fullscreen checked on or off. I am running on 2 monitors off an nVidia Quadro4 750 xgl. Fedora3, Xfce Window Manager. I assume it is gettiing the dimensions from my 2 monitors.

Is there a way to encourage/force jME to detect, list and/or use a smaller window and to display correctly on only 1 monitor in fullscreen?

The problem is we simply ask lwjgl for available display rez… That said, I’ve seen it run on windows with dual monitors just fine. Maybe there is something they can do on the linux side? They might just say that they simply ask the display driver for available rez’s as well though. :confused:

OK, I have a suspicion I know what’s going on, but I’m not adept enough with jME and lwjgl to really test it.

The Properties Dialog may have a flaw. I think it lists and handles only those resolutions available to Fullscreen mode. In my case, the way the permissions on my linux machine are set up, there is only one fullscreen res available.

But I can run LWJGL in a smaller window. I tried org.lwjgl.test.opengl.Gears and it runs fine in a 300x500 window. So, perhaps the jMe PropertiesDialog and Display should allow for window sizes that are not in the list of fullscreen res available.

If I edit my properties.cfg thus:

FREQ=85

RENDERER=LWJGL

WIDTH=640

HEIGHT=480

DEPTH=24

FULLSCREEN=false

I get

INFO: LWJGL Display System created.

com.jme.system.JmeException: Bad display mode

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initDisplay(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createWindow(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.SimpleGame.initSystem(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)

but I think it should be able to handle a window size that is not a fullscreen size if fullscreen = false.

So, should I post this on a bug tracker somewhere? I’ve spent some time trying to solve it on my own and offer a fix, but it’s going slowly.

Yes, please do. :slight_smile: