Capture from another Jadestone tech/gameplay demo

MrCoder said:
5) we did the simple physics ourselves, with a simple terrain height vs player y-position collision test when walking on terrain, and ODE(jme physics) for collision against meshes(just using the collision feedback from ode and not the physics simulation).

Cool, thanks for the reply, Mr Coder! That's an optimization I had not thought of (but I don't know whether I'd be able to implement it myself).

You know what I would like to see? That developers would use the wiki to jot down their "random revelations", "creative solutions" and "best practices" -- stuff like you just mentioned in 4) and 5) for example. I don't expect anyone to write a full-fledged tutorial, ;) (although people have done that, with excellent results), it would just be cool to have a shared collection of notes, how people approached and solved actual individual problems. An advanced FAQ so-to-speak.

(And yes, before you ask, I take quick notes in the wiki myself -- only that I'm not very advanced yet and what I write down is pretty basic. Still I like to go back to my notes to remind myself that I made this or that mistake before. XD It can be of use to somebody else, too.)

yeah that would be nice. i would love if i could find the discipline and time to write things like that in the wiki or blog. one thing you have to consider though, is that since we do these things for a company and not on our spare time there's always issues with what information you can make official or not…

MrCoder said:
one thing you have to consider though, is that since we do these things for a company and not on our spare time there's always issues with what information you can make official or not...

Hm, shoot, indeed I did not consider that.  :oops:

(Hold on -- you mean there are actually people who make money with game development?!  :-o)    :D

hehe, in the java world, i guess were only a handful  :wink:

MrCoder said:

hehe, in the java world, i guess were only a handful  ;)

i'm sure that will change ;)

it will! you guys + jME!  8)

I think shingoki does "5" for aircarrier

Hi MrCoder,

what is the current status on this project ?

Did you completely abandon it ?

how did you disable the ode physics handling?

I think what you are doing is disabling all the unwanted stuff and leaving just the collision detection(cause ode is faster than jme's collision detection) right?

i didnt disable it, i just got the feedback and manually corrected the positions for the physicsobjects instead…sucky workaround, but was the best option considering how little time we had at that point…

did that actually perform better than jme-collision detection? I would think all of the unnecessary physics calculations would slow it down. is there a way to disable it, or even better: to disable parts of it?

since we used it only for character against world(sphere against mesh) there wasnt really that much physics to do :slight_smile: a better thing than using ode would be to only wrap opcode(collision lib) or the bullet physics sdk which have collision easily separated…though nowdays when mojo has fixed up the collision i think jME can be fast enough in many cases…but it werent back then