Car Wars Style Game... Looking for people to join

This project aims to create a Car Wars game based on the Steve Jackson game… This is not intended to be a commercial product but rather a learning tool for my journey through jMonkey…

I have always been a big fan of Car Wars and always wondered why there isn’t a real computer version out there… Some have tired but has been a total disaster… And games like Dark Wind don’t really capture Car Wars the way it is meant to be…

I have many years of professional programming experience in almost every language out there and have gaming experience in the 2D world… How ever I am relatively new to 3D gaming… I have explored many game engines out there and have settled for jMonkey to do my project in…

Currently doing the early design work and setting up a website and wiki and I am looking for people to join me in this effort… If you are a programmer or 3D artist or have something to offer, then lets join forces here… I do have a full time job so this will be a side project that I will work on in my spare time…

My overall goal here is to build something in the long run that can be commercially viable but that’s a long time form now and not the focus of this effort… I am really trying to master creating a 3D game…

Edster,

Cool, sounds fun… Have you thought about working on this as an entry in the game contest? Those work in progress threads have been getting lots of great feedback :slight_smile:

I doubt that I will have anything ready by December 31st, 2011 (deadline) I can try but as I said I am in the early stages of learning jMonkey… If I make a very simple adaptation of Car Wars then maybe…

maybe one of developers who have similar avatar will join :stuck_out_tongue:

seriously: if it can be open source then entry game contest as sbook mentioned :slight_smile:

@oxplay2 said:
maybe one of developers who have similar avatar will join :p

I agree :D.

@glaucomardano: hey you changed avatar today :smiley: now we have 3 people with similar avatars

Nothing. But there’s a French guy that looks like you

Whats wrong with my avatar? LOL…

@nehon is happy-go-lucky, I’m sure he won’t mind :slight_smile:

Btw, contest entries aren’t required to be open source… Just free to play for at least the duration of the contest

I am all for open source… If I get this thing started then it will be shared… 8)

Southpark avatars FTW!!!

I like my new avatar better… Its more “CarWars” friendly…

Come and join this project if are interested in helping out… http://www.myeddie.net/sites/carwars/

We need 3D / 2D artists as well as good ideas for the over design of the game… If you have played “Car Wars” board game then your contribution will be a big help…

Edster,