"Chaos : In the darkness" just released on Steam!

Thats what 3.1 uses - but more flexible than the built-in jfx deployment which can only deploy to the platform you run on…

I 've tried to install 3.1 SDK 32bits for Windows, but the installer only install blender… I’ve also tried with 3.0 SDK 32bits, and same results…

I’ve downloaded from github

Is there something breaks or just my brain… ?

you can also play a bit with launch4j that is included in 3.0 so you can get an .exe file. You need to do some manual work like copying the jre folder and modify some xml values, but it did the job for me.

Funny, idk whats happening there. But as said, the 3.1 SDK can deploy to all platforms (using the JFX method) no matter which platform you’re on - the vanilla JDK can’t.

Wow. I just read the reviews and must ask:
Are you serious about this?

You released the game on one single platform and did not even test it on that platform?
I can only quote the positive review: “Having to run server.exe even if you are playing solo is silly.”

You’re doing it wrong. You should have thought through the release and actually prepare the game for deployment.
(Also talking about key rebinding via chat commands, as reviewers say. Build UI.)

Everything about this screams “This game was kicked out the door into release”.

1 Like

I dont understand what do you mean by not tested on the single platform ? We played Chaos during the whole dev time, on Window, and had release beta in 2014 with about 30 beta-tester.

Regarding server, yeah, the game client and game server are clearly separated. When you play, you must join first a server, local (on your machine or localnetwork) or distant (net, hamachi or others…)

Then for commands binding, you have a config file (txt) to put your favorite commands. It will spread to all characters.
And if in-game, something is wrong, we have put some /cmd to change it dynamically. But it has to be done for 1 or 2 missed shortcut max, not the entire file…

If would be great if we could have some decent review of the in-game expirement… you know, UI keybinding is certainly something ‘important’ but… far away of gameplay, difficulty, balance of template, multi-players sinergies…

Dont be so hard with him.
Its hard to build such big game for steam, and I still have my doubts if this worth it.
Also, all of us are players, but I did notice we are an different type of player, we as player/developer dont care much of UI as normal players do, so its normal to make this mistake at the first game and build an very basic UI, you will see this on almost every indie game.
The thing here is the release saying “full finish version”, and it maybe would be better to release an “final beta version”, so bugs and some lesser missing features are expected.
But, I dont really know, its an dilemma, sometimes its impossible to launch an full version game, just because you didnt have enough people to play and test it, and you make the mistake of thinking the game is complete when its not 100% complete…

Sorry your launch isn’t going great. As for your multiplayer:

1. remove dependency to the server for playing single player. Whether that means kicking off the server.exe automatically on start for now or what, I don’t know, but you can’t do that. This a players first impression and needs to be seemless

2. Move to a dedicated server. If you want multiplayer to happen, it needs to be dedicated, because mayber 1% of people will actually use hamachi and open up ports and it’s a royal pain. The other 99% will give a bad review.

I’ve seen videos of your game and been following it a long time. I know you’ve put a lot of thought as to how the game plays, but don’t forget about the other things.

You know, renting an good server for games is expensive and dangerous for your pocket…
An suggestion would be to change the client game to create an server internally like other games do, like minecraft for example, when you create an game, it opens an port, if someone joins, it changes internally to be an server.

And all this time i was unaware my pockets had been damaged!

To bundle my jme 3.0 app, I created a gradle plugin based on lanch4j, getdown,… : GitHub - davidB/gradle-getdown-plugin: A gradle plugin to bundle java app + jre with getdown support

I guess you don’t use gradle to package your app. So you have to automate the following (for each platform):

• create your app in a directory
  • add the jre of the target platform in a subdirectory (you can tune by removing some files)
  • use this local jre in you startup script (or exe if you use launch4j)
  • create the archive (or steam distribution)

On macosx it’s more complexe if you want to bundle a “regular” Application.

EDIT: Today, how do you bundle the app ? I can help you more if you like (you can contact me via PM in french)

EDIT 2: for polish, you also have to manage icons of the window (in taskbar)

Big kudos!!!
Incredible achievement.

Great work getting to a full release!
Perhaps consider doing a java-based “launcher app” that manages setting up and connecting to a local server? This would hide all the complicated stuff from the players.
I remember stand-alone launch4j (and its gui) being quite easy to work with so if you’re having troubles getting 3.1 to work properly, don’t hesitate to use it in the meantime.

Respect for release…i understand and know how hard it is as i was there before…listen to your userbase, and try to be calm and kind much as possible, regardless how stupid or arrogant, some comments/request may sound…apart from Hoodwink2, im working on fully procedural online game, and im curious to see how your server side executing…did you code server side in Java/JME3 as well ? Im using RakNet for server side (C++).

User reviews: Mostly Negative (6 reviews)

The backslash is real. Although this shouldn’t hurt you in the long run if you fix the dependancy.

Thank you all for your support / help. I’ve noted a lot of good thing, and have a lot of work !

I’ll focus on a better bundle but first I’ve to improved multi player stuff (mostly asked by customers), cause Chaos has been built around it, but without aiming Steam in particular. Their dedicated server archi is not user-friendly (at least for me) for now.

Yes, Chaos is 100% JME powered ! SpiderMonkey works very nice :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

One thing that maybe wasn’t said is: nothing is unfixable as long as you’re committed. Show your users that you listen and care about their experience, and maybe they’ll be also be willing to close an eye here and there :wink:

Yeah, I just miss some hollydays !

I think I’m done with my launcher problem. Using Launch4J, my app points at the JRE copied in the folder instead of system’s one.

So I’ve to upload to Steam the JRE8 and new wrapped executable to get ride of both issues : dependencies and java version 32/64.

I’ve read that a java64 program can be run on a 32bits system (only relies on used JRE). I hope its true :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, regardings STEAM user rating, Chaos is not “not recommanded” anymore, but “Variable”. The sun is finally shining somewhere…

1 Like

Don’t know you were french :smiley: We are at least 3 roaming there !
More seriously, there is no “bundle” for Chaos, I only distribute the dist folder with custom ressources/file for the game.
And about recent news, The JRE will be now added to the Steam package

Keep the sun shining - and never give up! :chimpanzee_closedlaugh:

Well, maybe someone can make a “bundle JRE with your game for dummies”. I’ve read that in jME 3.1 it’s no problem, but I’m still on 3.0 and always have difficulties with configuration (NetBeans or elsewhere). Somehow I never know what to type into those xml config files - for me it’s much harder than coding Java :chimpanzee_wink: