Character textures wont load

So we have a little game project and it’s going well. I have made the character in blender, exported with ogre.xml and have textured and animated it. To cut to the point, on my developers windows computer (i have a mac) it runs fine with all textures and animations working without much fault but when he exports it to a mac version and sends it to me, the character’s textures wont load but the animation works fine. He appears as a black silhouette. To make matters more confusing, my stationary tree models load all textures fine. is this a problem with my blender, the exporter or my mac?

Can you post a log of the app running on mac?

@Momoko_Fan said:
Can you post a log of the app running on mac?

I'll set it up so that it will log the process. But what sort of things are you looking for? Might be something simple?

Its possible the textures are using an unsupported format… But that shouldn’t really happen. To be honest, I don’t really know what I am looking for, but if something is wrong it would probably be in the log.

Ok here is the log: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5rgzkfx76r0babk

Hmm nothing interesting in the log … Can you post the texture itself perhaps? Do all other textures except the character texture work?

Well it seems to be just to do with the animation, and being on a mac. Static models and textures work fine for both of us however textured animations only work well for me (Windows) but seem to be incredibly glitchy for Ryan (Mac). The Windows-Mac thing is the only link I can really think of, although it could well be to do with graphics cards or OpenGL version…

We incorporated a command console function and when i open that up and spam letters then the character’s texture, polygon by polygon, appears but when i quit the command console, the textures go, always leaving two textured polygons on the character’s chest. Another very confusing thing is that when we added water to the landscape and then i spammed keys on the console, the textures appeared on the reflection of the character, not the actual model.

So it could be to do with elements being added to the guiNode. It’s all very confusing…

I guess we could ask are there any known issues with models and textures having glitches in jMonkey? And if so, what are the common causes?

@ollie said:
I guess we could ask are there any known issues with models and textures having glitches in jMonkey? And if so, what are the common causes?

Nope.

Right, this is really troubling us now. Possibly these screenshots will help you understand the issue and the difference between the mac and the windows ones. Here is a link to the images: http://imgur.com/a/oTRFs#0

Another thought: Possibly to do with the Mac .app exporter?

It looks like either your tangents are not set, try calling TangentBinormalGenerator.generate() on the models geometry/meshes, can be done via the SceneExplorer. Or the shininess value is set wrong so that only the very permissive nvidia shader implementation will display it properly, then try tweaking that. Usually when it doesn’t work on mac that means theres actually something wrong :slight_smile:

So you are saying that my computer would display it because of a different shader, whereas someone without that shader would not be able to have it displayed?

EDIT: The TangentBinormal thing seems to have fixed a few glitches for me so we will try it on the mac ASAP.

@ollie said:
So you are saying that my computer would display it because of a different shader, whereas someone without that shader would not be able to have it displayed?

EDIT: The TangentBinormal thing seems to have fixed a few glitches for me so we will try it on the mac ASAP.

No, what I am saying is that shaders give different results on different drivers, depending on the settings. If it works on a mac it works everywhere basically and is "correct". Apples OpenGL implementation is very strict. You could have gotten the same issue say on an ATI card on windows.

Ahh well the tangent binormal generator seems to have fixed it nicely! Also cleaned up a bunch of glitches I was having with the graphics as well. I know this is probably a face-palm moment for you guys but can someone shed light on why this worked? What does the tangent binormal generator do that is related to textures and animation?

@ollie said:
Ahh well the tangent binormal generator seems to have fixed it nicely! Also cleaned up a bunch of glitches I was having with the graphics as well. I know this is probably a face-palm moment for you guys but can someone shed light on why this worked? What does the tangent binormal generator do that is related to textures and animation?

The lighting shader needs this information to properly move the texture fragments. The nvidia implementation of the used GLSL calls probably just goes over this with some default values. If you had started using normal maps and specular/lighting maps extensively you probably would have seem more issues (or saw them already as you mention). Bottom line: generate tangents if you use Lighting.j3md :)
@normen said:
The lighting shader needs this information to properly move the texture fragments. The nvidia implementation of the used GLSL calls probably just goes over this with some default values. If you had started using normal maps and specular/lighting maps extensively you probably would have seem more issues (or saw them already as you mention). Bottom line: generate tangents if you use Lighting.j3md :)

Great! Thanks very much!