ChaseCamera without the spring?

I'm looking for an InputHandler that rotates around a target Node and zooms in and out from it, but does not zoom in a "springy" mode like ChaseCamera.  I would like the mouse wheel to zoom the camera smoothly toward and away from the target Node but stay any arbitrary fixed zoom at the end of the motion…not snap all the way in or all the way out as the ChaseCamera does.

Has anyone written something like this?  Is this a simple modification of ChaseCamera to get this behavior?

I have tried disabling the spring on ChaseCamera, but the resulting camera positions are very jumpy and unstable.

Yes, there is a function.

chase.setSpringEnabled(false);

I think.

chase.setEnableSpring(false);

Yeah, I tried that one, and it sucks.  It results in no smooth motion at all…it simply moves the camera immediately from the minimum distance to the maximum distance.  Actually, it can put you in some very odd viewing angles.  This isn't what I need at all.  I need a smoothly moving zoom change toward or away from the target node without snapping to either the minimum distance or the maximum distance…I want it to keep the camera at whatever the last distance was when I stopped zooming.

MarkFromMars said:

Yeah, I tried that one, and it sucks.  It results in no smooth motion at all...it simply moves the camera immediately from the minimum distance to the maximum distance.  Actually, it can put you in some very odd viewing angles.  This isn't what I need at all.  I need a smoothly moving zoom change toward or away from the target node without snapping to either the minimum distance or the maximum distance...I want it to keep the camera at whatever the last distance was when I stopped zooming.

I agree, I have the same trouble too, although I've gotten the chase camera to behave "ok" and left it at that. Renanse's Control Editor (in the jme source code) helped a bit getting decent settings, but you probably will have to make your own implementation of an overhead chase camera.