City with Buildings - best way?

Hi! I have a model file of a part of a downtown city, which is filled with models of the buildings in the city. I also have the files for each building separately as well as a texture wrap for each building. What is the best way to bring all of this into jme3 including the textures?

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything.

Thank you!

Convert them to j3o format. Import them to scene composer. Play.

What specifically is the problem that isn’t covered by the assets tutorials?

@zarch Sorry, man, I should have added more detail. I am familiar with using the scene composer, etc. Basically, I have a j3o that is the buildings, to scale, and spaced to scale. I can import the entire building file to jme but then how could I set textures for each building? Or, should I just work toward placing each building in the scene composer, hoping to keep the spacing of the buildings to scale and apply textures to each building object?

Thanks again!

Textures are part of the material properties, or do you mean you want to make a texture atlas?

or why don’t the buildings already have textures?

@zarch @pspeed

What I have is a 3DS file of part of a downtown city. In that file are all the buildings laid out and spaced as they are in the real world. There is a texture for each building. In addition to that, I also have each building with texture in each’s own 3DS file. I am familiar with importing into jme, converting to j3o, etc.

What I’m trying to figure out is best practice for bringing all that into jme. For example, should I place each building within the scene composer just as it is in the 3DS file? Or, would something like a texture atlas work for the entire set of buildings in one j3o file?

Thank you!

Basically, I found a 3D model of my city, and I’m putting it into JME3. :slight_smile:

There is no one right answer.

Dividing things up into multiple models and textures allows things to be culled/removed more easily when not in use…

… but handling a few large objects and textures is faster than many smaller objects.

So you need to strike the right balance for your use case.

On the other hand if certain bits of texture (for example a window or whatever) are shared between a lot of the buildings then you can make good savings by having a texture atlas for all the buildings.

@zarch I feel ya… makes sense, man. I will be going the route of individually placed buildings, to help with culling, etc like you said. It will be mostly used in first-person perspective. Kind of a tour guide type of situation. Each building has the actual image of the real building as the texture. So, no shared textures.

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile: