Code for Basic Tutorials 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13 do not work

I have found that the code for basic tutorials 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13 do not work even though I am following the instructions and using the exact code the tutorials are providing.

I have the latest version of JME. I heard that this solves some of the bug in the tutorials, but I also heard that the more recent version has a problem with animation. Could this possibly be causing the error in Tutorial 7, Hello Animation.

I am getting similar errors for each tutorial example.

Tutorial 6 Hello Materials:

SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Interface/Logo/Monkey.jpg (Flipped) (Mipmapped)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:277)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadTexture(DesktopAssetManager.java:345)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadTexture(DesktopAssetManager.java:355)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloMaterial.simpleInitApp(HelloMaterial.java:32)

at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.initialize(SimpleApplication.java:228)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:129)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:205)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Tutorial 7 Hello Animation:

com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Models/Oto/Oto.mesh.xml

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:410)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:420)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloAnimation.simpleInitApp(HelloAnimation.java:37)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:129)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:205)

Tutorial 10 Hello Terrain:

com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Textures/Terrain/splat/alphamap.png (Flipped) (Mipmapped)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloTerrain.simpleInitApp(HelloTerrain.java:38)

Tutorial 11 Hello Audio:

com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Sound/Effects/Gun.wav (Buffer)

at com.jme3.audio.AudioNode.(AudioNode.java:139)

at com.jme3.audio.AudioNode.(AudioNode.java:151)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloAudio.initAudio(HelloAudio.java:46)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloAudio.simpleInitApp(HelloAudio.java:40)

Tutorial 12 Hello Effects:

com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Effects/Explosion/flame.png (Flipped) (Mipmapped)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloEffects.simpleInitApp(HelloEffects.java:25)

Tutorial 13 Hello Physics:

com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Textures/Terrain/BrickWall/BrickWall.jpg (Flipped) (Mipmapped)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloPhysics.initMaterials(HelloPhysics.java:103)

at jme3test.helloworld.HelloPhysics.simpleInitApp(HelloPhysics.java:80)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is because you missed the hint in the first paragraph in the Hello Assets tutorial. It even has an exclamation mark I think. The problem itself should be kind of obvious if you read the stack traces you posted.

Thank you. It was a noob mistake.

@normen said:
This is because you missed the hint in the first paragraph in the Hello Assets tutorial. It even has an exclamation mark I think. The problem itself should be kind of obvious if you read the stack traces you posted.

I think people are getting so conditioned to skip past adds that anything like that which isn't part of the main flow of text just gets tuned out.

It might be worth having the info both in the main text and in the ! box.

This site contains no adverts whatsoever and I guess we catch a lot of people with “comic book” reading habits with that (jumping from image to image). People should just get used to everything here being info :wink:

Well if duplicating (a fairly important) bit of info in the tutorial saves a forum question every week then I think it’s worth it :wink:

(This is the second post in a week from someone that missed that info box).

yh this kind of post does happen every so often. I think we need another project, inbetween Basic Game and jME Tests. Like just Basic Game with the jMETests library included ^^ and maybe some others, to make it easier . Maybe something like “Basic Game (Lite)”, “Basic Game (Heavy)” or something. Also zarch the wiki is freely editable, so be my guest in changing it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

If you count the general number of people who didn’t read the manual at all cause they don’t even find the “Documentation” link above or the “Help” menu in the SDK idk if its at all possible to get people to read what you want them to w/o a “slap in the face from out of the monitor” plugin installed in the browser :wink: I rather think that more people don’t properly read a lengthy paragraph of documentation where this info might be included… But sure, just duplicate it in the paragraph too, lets see if it helps :slight_smile:

I added that same note about jME Test assets to the top of all the tutorials that the OP listed, this way they are bound to see it somewhere :wink:

3 Likes
@wezrule said:
I added that same note about jME Test assets to the top of all the tutorials that the OP listed, this way they are bound to see it somewhere ;)

"...bound to see it somewhere..." That's funny. :) I had no idea you were such an optimist. :)

yeh, and if they dont see it, I will just tell them to go to specsavers :slight_smile: