Collision detection in large scenes

I’m working with a large scene containing several hundred objects. I’m not familiar with the inner workings of the physics/collision system of JME and I’m looking for a little guidance on the best way to go about collision detection,

Previously when working with large scenes in another engine I would divide each scene into sectors. Then each object in the sector would pass a collision check if it was with in a certain distance of the player. This would keep objects at a distance and/or outside the sector from performing unnecessary collision checks.

Would my current method of sector/distances be effective or is there a better way in JME ?

Thanks,
Chris

What do you mean with collision detections?
Raycasts? Player physics ect?

There are dozens of ways for jme to do similar things, so it really depends on what you try to do, to determine the best solution.

Yes, sectors. This way you offload a lot to the broadphase.

It will completely depend on what you are building, the shape of the objects, the effect you want, etc.
Its not clear what you want, I mean, if you just want collision detection, you dont need physics system at all…

Some of the objects will have physical control and others will be static. The current scene I’m working on is a small city. It contains about a dozen buildings plus other interactive object such as trashcans , weapons , power up etc and things such as lamp post and billboards.

The game is a FPSRPG with a style similar to the later Elder Scrolls series (3,4,5).

Actually you should look into making all the physics etc. dynamic. Batching the objects when the player isn’t there, replacing them with movable objects when he’s there etc. Simulating a whole city the “straight forward” way is only going to cause problems. No actual game does that.