Commercial use - JME Games as Standalone

Hi guys,

It's my first post in here and I really wanted to congratulate all developers from the JMonkeyEngine and, of course, his wonderful supportive community!  :slight_smile:

I little question came to me as I knew that JME licence permitted to commercialize our developped games:

Is there any restriction to use gcj or any other compilers or tools for making standalones instead of using java virtual machines to make a commercial game/application?

Since I've seen Oracle blasting out on Google about commercial possibilities with open source tools and applications using Java, I prefered to focus on not using any JVM for a final commercial game in case that they would make some modifications to their licences which would involve us to change our plans probably during the half-way of our development…

If anything doesn't sound clear, since english isn't my main language, let me know!  :wink:

Thanks again for all of your wonderful support!  :slight_smile:

Not from our side, if you get a open-source cross-compiler, vm or whatever that does not depend on any (restricted) oracle code you're free :wink: I guess for lwjgl and jogl its the same.

Cheers,

Normen

@silverkorn said:Since I've seen Oracle blasting out on Google about commercial possibilities with open source tools and applications using Java, I prefered to focus on not using any JVM for a final commercial game in case that they would make some modifications to their licences which would involve us to change our plans probably during the half-way of our development...

Oracle is taking a strike on Google more on the grounds of keeping the Java brand intact rather than attacking Open-Source, I wouldn't worry too much about this (Technically OpenJDK is pseudo-managed by Oracle now anyhow :p)

Ugh, Oracle is just mad that Google is having success without paying any money to Sun (which of course was bought up by Oracle). I meet people everyday that think Android is built upon some version of Java or it’s mobile cousin, Java ME, instead of it’s own virtual machine. I am scoping out jMonkeyEngine to see if it can meet my Android game development needs, but I don’t know if it’s mature enough.

tonyrayo said:I meet people everyday that think Android is built upon some version of Java or it's mobile cousin, Java ME, instead of it's own virtual machine.

Herein lies the problem as Google kind of talks out of both sides of its mouth.. Meanwhile, Oracle has a responsibility to its stakeholders to ensure that buying Sun was a sound decision. IMO this could actually be a win-win if Android's position in the Java ecosystem gets solidified (like it or not, it is a part of it) and Oracle can show that its able to lead the Java community.

tonyrayo said:I am scoping out jMonkeyEngine to see if it can meet my Android game development needs, but I don't know if it's mature enough.

The beauty of open-source is that if it isn't up to your standards then no one is stopping you from doing so ;)

Well main problem is with google that java-me is not free while java is

sbook said:The beauty of open-source is that if it isn't up to your standards then no one is stopping you from doing so ;)

That's what drew me to this project to begin with :). Frankly, there aren't a whole lot of development environments, commercial or otherwise, for Android at this point. Coming from a previous point of iOS development (well, before it was called iOS, heh), I see how spoiled I was with the larger community and focused applications/code (of course it was always limited to OSX, is most cases specific Leopard or Snow Leopard). However from everything I've seen so far I think it deserves my attention (and hopefully I will be able to commit a fix/improvement to the source code along the way).

As far as Google and Oracle, they are both giants (with the favours stacked in Oracle's corner at this point), so I think a lengthy lawsuit will be the only way out at this point. It's annoying to see though... while not on the same level it reminds me when the DVD Forums (who were pushing HD-DVD) and the Blu-ray Association (obviously pushing Blu-Ray) were said to have met at different times, in hopes of joining up and releasing one format (oh man, the headaches and lost of capital that would have saved), but they were never able to put aside their differences and ended up going to war.

Won't someone please think of the children! =p

I have respect for you, using Obj-C and all :wink:

tonyrayo said:Won't someone please think of the children! =p

So true!

I never got GCJ to work, for some reason it always gives me some cryptic error :expressionless:

But anyways, you can use whatever methods you want to get jME3 to work on your JVM/Compiler. It was designed from ground up to be AWT-independent and is written in pure Java 1.5 code. It has a pluggable display/audio/input implementation so you can get it to work on various platforms and whatnot (consoles, anyone?)

Do I remember correctly that the BD-J implementation is a sort of strange JVM in its own right?

sbook said:
Do I remember correctly that the BD-J implementation is a sort of strange JVM in its own right?

It actually is not that strange, it has some extensions/classes that are BD-J specific yes, but it's actually an implementation of JavaME.

Edit: The wikipedia entry provides a better explanation that I ever could =p. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J