Continue checkout from repository? (be a hero, save a noob)

Is it possible? I am trying to download the jME source code with WinCVS per Getting Started on jMonkeyEngine.com. I am on dial-up in a thirdworld country and the connection is very unstable. Is there some way to pick up where it left off? Or maybe some way to index it to know what I am missing? I realize most would probably say that if I have to ask this question, I shouldn't be wasting my time downloading jME because it will be way over my head. I guess sink or swim is my preferred method of learning. Thanks for having mercy on a noob. :expressionless:

I have never used WinCVS, but in theory, CVS can always pick up and resume a partial download. Browse the WinCVS menus to see if it does it… or even do a simple checkout and see if it is always restarting the downloads. If the output says something like

cvs update: Updating jme/jme/lib
cvs update: Updating jme/jme/src
cvs update: Updating jme/jme/src/com
cvs update: Updating jme/jme/src/com/jme

Then it is not downloading the files all over again. If the output starts with U or P, then it might be downloading all over again.

Hope it helps.

Note the cvs UPDATE on duenez post !

So don't start a check out again when Your conection breaks but do an update which should resume where it broke last time.

the problem with updating is that when you update you see indications that files are being downloaded but they never seem to get “physically” written to the project directory until all updates are downloaded with eclipse atleast, so if u get dropped, you are back at square one :’( I had similar issues get some relief by creating a jme project checked out parts at a time…jme itself is kinda resourse heavy from poor dial up connection point of view, in fact the data folder that reside outside the source folder is what I call the “tonnes of shit I dont seem to need folder” as nothing seems to get used from there

[personal opinion]WinCVS is crap. Try TortoiseCVS - not perfect, but much better[/personal opinion]

Landei said:

[personal opinion]WinCVS is crap. Try TortoiseCVS - not perfect, but much better[/personal opinion]

+ 1

Subclipse is my buddy!

If everything else fails, and you are not afraid of command line tools, you can download a command line cvs, and download jME directly to the directory you choose. Nice thing is you will definitely know what is going on, which is not always the case with nice graphical interfaces.  }:-@

darkfrog said:

Subclipse is my buddy!

afaik, subclipse is svn only. cvs support is built in eclipse by default.

I know, I just like Subclipse…and Subversion. :wink:

who doesn't ?  XD

the problem with updating is that when you update you see indications that files are being downloaded but they never seem to get "physically" written to the project directory until all updates are downloaded with eclipse atleast, so if u get dropped, you are back at square one cry

... sorry bit late ... but in NetBeans that is working flawlessly.

in eclipse too. what he sees is the output of the synchronizing process. that's the part where the directories are fetched and the versions are compared. only after the sync finishes, the files get downloaded. that's just the way it works

Ah, ok understood

sfera said:

in eclipse too. what he sees is the output of the synchronizing process. that's the part where the directories are fetched and the versions are compared. only after the sync finishes, the files get downloaded. that's just the way it works

o.k. then, but it's still hell on an unstable connection and time consuming. there should really be an option to allow updates to be done in  chunks, I would say checking out or updating in parts is still best for unstable

yeah, i remember how it was on dial-up :frowning:

the connection would time out during the sync, so it never came to the part with the download. i only had that kind of problems with dev.java.net (i even had them some days ago, and i have a broadband connection now). the dev.java.net cvs repository is just extremely slow sometimes.

what i did back then was to check out jme at the university (broadband - was still slow, but it worked) and then take it home with me on an usb stick. then at home i just had to update. updating was still a pain in the ass, but it was still better than downloading all the stuff on the diap-up connection.

Alternatively, you could alway download the nightly build… If you use a decent downloader, it should be able to resume a broken partial download.  :slight_smile:

duenez said:

Alternatively, you could alway download the nightly build... If you use a decent downloader, it should be able to resume a broken partial download.