Creating a "glowing" sphere

@miroslaw.michna said: @normen does this mean that if i use a material on my sun sphere the bloom effect will be greater? If so, i will try it ;)

No, it means what I say: You still have to learn a lot. A texture or map is not just the color of a model:

The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

1 Like

@normen
your video tutorial is amazing! you should be a official jme3 video teacher: nice voice and a good text-speed. thanks for this!
why i have not seen this videos before… is it linked in the tutorial section? Now i understand more about the process of getting nice objects.
So for my problem what i need to do is a simple sphere in blender, attach the texture for the sun to it (normal, shiny, diffuse) and use a particle effect for the sun-flames to it, right?

1 Like

hm, really crazy i don’t have the option to add a new blender file to my material folder by pressing the right mouse->add->other. The blender menu is not there. I know i can import them but its really nice to use it like you normen in your video. A little hint for me to solve this?

1 Like

Also, I just wanted to reiterate what @pspeed said again about the billboard + flare texture. Between this, a texture for the sphere and the glow effect you’ll be able to repro the image you showed

1 Like

@t0neg0d
i have read something about the billboard control and all what i have realized yet is, that a billboard is used to render a flat picture on the screen. so how can i understand the solution from @pspeed ?

edit:
i understand pspeed’s idea to create a billboarcontrol and adding a lens-flare shader to it. but the lens-flare is not only what i need. i want a real glowing sun, like the picture i posted above. at this time i dont want a lens-flare effect, it comes later :wink:

1 Like
@miroslaw.michna said: @t0neg0d i have read something about the billboard control and all what i have realized yet is, that a billboard is used to render a flat picture on the screen. so how can i understand the solution from @pspeed ?

edit:
i understand pspeed’s idea to create a billboarcontrol and adding a lens-flare shader to it. but the lens-flare is not only what i need. i want a real glowing sun, like the picture i posted above. at this time i dont want a lens-flare effect, it comes later :wink:

I think he meant solar flare… not lens flare. The glow around the sun would best be shown using a texture with varying degrees of transparency. This applied to a billboard that is larger than your sphere will produce the outter glow (flare) effect around the sun. You can enhance this effect with the use of a GlowMap.

1 Like

@t0neg0d
i understand what you mean now. but for me as a beginner its really heavy to realize this, because i cant find any introduction to billboardcontrol. If i search for billboardcontrol i dont find a official tutorial about this in the sdk documentation section, only forum posts :confused:

1 Like
@miroslaw.michna said: @t0neg0d i understand what you mean now. but for me as a beginner its really heavy to realize this, because i cant find any introduction to billboardcontrol. If i search for billboardcontrol i dont find a official tutorial about this in the sdk documentation section, only forum posts :/

Writing computer games is hard. One of the hardest types of programming to do. Sometimes you have to be willing to jump in and try things out and see what happens.

Make a Quad or a Picture. Add it to your scene. Add a BillboardControl to it. See what happens.

@t0neg0d said: I think he meant solar flare... not lens flare. The glow around the sun would best be shown using a texture with varying degrees of transparency. This applied to a billboard that is larger than your sphere will produce the outter glow (flare) effect around the sun. You can enhance this effect with the use of a GlowMap.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I blame the cold medicine. Solar flare is what I meant.

2 Likes

To get a bloom effect, you have to set a bloom filter, as you did. But you also have to set a GlowColor or a GlowMap for objects that need to bloom !
They are available in Lighting.j3md or even to Unshaded.j3md (useful for a sun, which is always set to full-colors and don’t need a light to be seen…)
[java]sunMat.setColor(“GlowColor”,ColorRGBA.YELLOW);[/java]

1 Like

@pspeed
Thank you for your answer. We all know that game programing is hard and needs time. But i have a little lead which not every newbie has: experience in programing itself. Thanks to that i don’t have problems with syntax or programing paradigms. But it’s true that i’m really new to 3d stuff and i have a lot to learn about it. So i’m really happy to get help from others :slight_smile:

I will try out the BillboardControl and post my experience here. Thanks pspeed!

@yang71
I have played around with the GlowColor parameter, but i don’t want to use it cause of really ugly effect:

:shit:

1 Like

Well… This is really ugly.
Have you tried playing with the filter’s parameters ? Usually, it looks better than this !

Have a look there :
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:bloom_and_glow

1 Like
@miroslaw.michna said: @pspeed Thank you for your answer. We all know that game programing is hard and needs time. But i have a little lead which not every newbie has: experience in programing itself. Thanks to that i don't have problems with syntax or programing paradigms. But it's true that i'm really new to 3d stuff and i have a lot to learn about it. So i'm really happy to get help from others :)

I will try out the BillboardControl and post my experience here. Thanks pspeed!

@yang71
I have played around with the GlowColor parameter, but i don’t want to use it cause of really ugly effect:

:shit:

It looks like you have things cranked way up too high. You can’t get that kind of glow without resorting to the method I said. Bloom/glow is better for a more subtle effect… and is actually crucial even when using the solar flare quad technique. I will post a screen shot in a sec.

1 Like

@pspeed
i have used the billboard control in a little test case and now i think i know what it does: it let you think that the 2d picture is 3d, or in other words it transforms the spatial so that it will always “look” at you. Like in the old-school games:

So now i understand how to use this effekt for my sun. I need to create the sphere in code, set my picture to the sun and add the billboardcontrol to the picture . The picture should be only the outer ring which will let look my sun “glow”. But i think the result if i will use it is not so realistic like a particle effect, cause i can’t let the picture move like a flame. I know i can create a picture with transparency and let it rotate around, but its really static then. Or is my thinking incorrect? Many thanks!

1 Like

@yang71
yes i have played over and over to get a nice glow effect out-of-the-box through bloom filter: no chance. It can be used only for small, tiny glowing, but i want more =)

1 Like

The picture would be static, yes. Unless you wanted to get into shader programming and do something animated.

As promised, my Mythruna sun with and without bloom:

It’s a sphere object with a solar flare quad. Though I could have just done it as one quad… I already had the sphere before I added the flare.

1 Like

@pspeed
Yeah this effect + a particle effect (fire) would be really really great for me.
Can you show me a little code how you created the quad and how you set the Billboard coords right? Just to understand the term “quad” correctly (haven’t worked with them right now): A quad is a flat rectangle. Is it possible to set a material or texture to a quad? Did u use a texture/picture for your solar flare or how does is work?

1 Like

These are all fairly basic questions. I recommend running through the tutorials. They will answer these questions and probably a hundred more.

1 Like

@pspeed
you are right, i need to read them over and over again… sry for burning your time this way
i will post here if i get any results or questions about the specified problem. thanks for your great tips

1 Like
@pspeed said: The picture would be static, yes. Unless you wanted to get into shader programming and do something animated.

As promised, my Mythruna sun with and without bloom:

It’s a sphere object with a solar flare quad. Though I could have just done it as one quad… I already had the sphere before I added the flare.

That is awesomeness… can’t say enough how cool I think this idea is.

1 Like
@t0neg0d said: That is awesomeness... can't say enough how cool I think this idea is.

Thanks. Sometimes the simple ideas are the best ones. :slight_smile:

While I’m showing off… similar comparison at dusk:

…and I remember why I did the flare and sphere separate was so that I could change their colors independently if needed.

2 Likes