CVS broken?

I was able to checkout succesfully using eclipse. Unfortunately I don’t use linux so can’t really help you with the cvs command line stuff. I’m sure someone on the boards will know the answer though.

Problem persisting… am on OS X

My CVS version is

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client/server)

Copyright (c) 1989-1998 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
Jeff Polk, and other authors

edit: am working around it... finally found out how to do CVS from within IDEA. God, I love this IDE.

tone

perhaps “guest” no longer works? I’ll give it a shot on my Linux machine when I get home tonight. Try creating a Java.net account and use that to check out.

I used Eclipse on OSX and followed our jME getting started guide for Eclipse (posted in the docs area I believe…) Worked very well for me.

I posted a pretty long and detailed “How to check out jME with IDEA” on the docs section. That may help you out if you’re using IDEA.

I was not able to update jme yesterday from dev.java.net (and same workspace worked well few days ago). I was also not able to log in to dev.java.net using only my handle - I have to use entire email address (which is out of question for cvs AFAIK).

Currently the website is fixed - I’ll check cvs at home.

"Cep21" wrote:
I posted a pretty long and detailed "How to check out jME with IDEA" on the docs section. That may help you out if you're using IDEA.

I succeeded with IDEA, thanks.
Is IDEA not the best thing ever in IDEs?

I always wonder about Eclipse tho... people rave about it, but the presentation of the whole seems so confusing... even the website has difficulty telling you what the tool IS, exactly.

tone

eclipse is awesome (though to be honest I’ve never used IDEA) YOu should give eclipse a shot. I haven’t found anything it can’t do

Using eclipse for the first time I also found it to be a bit difficult to navigate compared with my other IDE (JBuilder)… I’m used to small things like being able to control click a function or field to jump quickly to it’s definition or having a nice folder view of my project in ONE window on the left and my source view on the right… none of this jumping back and forth between different types of views.

Other than all that, it’s a competant IDE. I’ve heard it’s supposed to be customizable so maybe I can get what I’m used to somehow. :slight_smile:

control click a function or field to jump quickly to it's definition

You should be able to do this in Eclipse as well...

evidently not on the mac… not without pulling up a mini menu and then clicking on the appropriate menu item at least… I’ve found that F3 does it if you are currently on the item… still not quite as convienent.

Hmmm maybe it’s disabled on the Mac? Try:

Open Preferences, navigate to Java/Editor. Click the Navigation tab, there should be an option for “Support Hyperlink style navigation”, and then there is a place to set the key that activates it.

Cool, that works. How about easier views of your project src tree while you are editting… The Java Browsing perspective doesn’t cut it (way too cluttered) with the 4 project src windows across the top and the Java perspective has no tree listing of the Project contents.

click the “Down arrow” button that is at the top of the browser window, select layout and heirarchical.

here you can also filter what should be shown, i.e. I don’t want to see the jars I import etc.

Hmm, found what I wanted… you add views by selecting window->show view, then drag things around to customize your workspace… much better!

Since I see eclipse in your workspace you must tell eclipse that you are using 1.4 syntax…

Preferences:

Java->compiler

Compliance and Classfiles tab

uncheck default and select 1.4 for all.

Maybe you have created separate properties for this specific project ? Please check in right click on project, properties in Java Compiler if you have ‘use workspace settings’ checked. Be also sure to have Source compatibility set to 1.4 in addition to two mojo mentioned.

"shochu" wrote:
eclipse is awesome (though to be honest I've never used IDEA) YOu should give eclipse a shot. I haven't found anything it can't do

Maybe they are largely the same in strength. FWIW, IDEA's best virtue is that the entire IDE really understands the language and its foibles. Many features display an intelligence about Java that makes Visual C++ and other tools look downright stupid. A friend has tried to convince me that Visual C++ can do that sort of thing.. to which I have to reply "they sure hid it well!"

Being able to rename members, find all references to them, move members up to parent classes or down to subclasses or to different packages, and to see all necessary changes automatically occur is amazing. I'd love to see them move their magic over to C++ as well.

tone
"tone" wrote:
"shochu" wrote:
eclipse is awesome (though to be honest I've never used IDEA) YOu should give eclipse a shot. I haven't found anything it can't do

Maybe they are largely the same in strength. FWIW, IDEA's best virtue is that the entire IDE really understands the language and its foibles.

IDEA is great. All glory to IDEA!

Try building the project without eclipse, but just from the command line?