(December 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Thank you

Because I’m that special kind of “maker” and “crazy” and probably a few other adjectives related…

Back story:
I had the same basic big-red-digital numbers alarm clock since I was 7 years old. It had two alarm settings, a snooze button, and a very loud beep. It was exactly what it needed to be. It finally kicked the bucket a few years ago (got about 25 years use out of it so that’s ok.) I purchased a similar $13 one from Amazon but it only had one alarm setting… and now the cord has a short in it.

I started looking for new alarm clocks but none had the combination of features that I really wanted. I thought “Too bad I can’t just pick and choose my features…” Then I thought, “Actually, I can.” And the idea seemed less crazy the more I thought about.

Fast forward a bit and I have a Raspberry Pi + touch screen + enclosure running chrome in kiosk mode and giant red digital numbers. I still need to add the features I want and the cool thing is I can also add weather and all kinds of other stuff.

Yes, this has to be one of the most wasteful ways to use a Pi… and I don’t even care. :slight_smile: (I’ve even tried to hook it to Amazon Polly to have it talk to me but have been unsuccessful.)

Why do you care? Well, in the process I’ve made my own digital number set. I did it by taking a picture of my current alarm clock and cleaning up the images, turning the 8 into the 9 other digits, etc… and they are all available for you to download here:

This might be useful for anyone that wants to have an old-school red digital display in their game.

Then again, maybe not. But if it helps even one person then suddenly I’m at least 1% less crazy for having spent the last 30 minutes cleaning these up. :slight_smile:

Image index:

Edit: for my purposes I will likely be chopping the large corners off so I can overlap them slightly. If there is any interest, I can post those to imgur, too.

18 Likes

Wow, that looks very nice! I’m sure I will have a use for it one of these days :chimpanzee_smile:

Very interesting. Looks like you have learned a lot in the process. I do love a bit of education. Cant help but look!

I added some tweaks to my rpg game (I don’t think you can actually call it a game yet).

• The enemies, perform now a line of sight check when you are in aggro range.
  • Played with Lemur and styles to create a HUD
  • I added hitboxes to make the entities easier to select and added a highlight effect.
  • There is some very premature turn based combat system in place that uses the DnD ruleset

The next goal will be to add attack/dodge/death animations to the models.

10 Likes

My very first tutorial video. I had to record how to make money in my game for some people. I was listening some music so it accidentally records the music too (very unexpected :joy:).

10 Likes

The music synced pretty will in my opinion, the bass drops just as you creep around the corner for the first log pick up :smile:

1 Like

Well, thank you. The most fun is that I really wasn’t carrying about music :laughing:. And now you can see what a big thing can do a simple luck… When it goes, it goes and if not, you can do anything.

Looks interesting!
Two things though: I noticed your car wheels turn when you turn left or right, but instantly jump back to their initial position once you let go of the key. It would probably seem smoother if you interpolated the movement there, too.
Also, I’d recommend OBS for recording. Free, no watermark and you can set the bitrate so that the video doesn’t look to JPEG-y. :wink:

2 Likes

If you have NVIDIA, use ShadowPlay. It has been far the best. I’ve tried a few.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

SkyHussars R12 is available:

Due to my limited free time, I was able to include only a handful of features. Enemies are flying again, there are some improvements in physics, there are some features which are making progress in the background. The main problem at the moment that the controls are too sensitive, something that I should fix soon. The other thing is that in case of negative aoa it easy to loose control of the plane, I suspect an issue with the damping code again.

New features:

• Initial TerrainEd UI
  • Projectiles physics are in sync with rest of the physics
  • Small deadzone to joystick
  • Save As… functionality for PlaneEd
  • AI planes won’t fall from the sky when a new game is started
  • Preparation for selectable maps
  • Reorganized PlaneEd UI, moved telemetry panels to the right

Please watch the release video here:

Release and source code available here:

11 Likes

Already working on 3.3, I’m reworking the whole animation system and I will integrate monkanim.
But to work on animation, you need a good armature debugger

21 Likes

any news about my PR for shader node system? :slight_smile:

I 'm waiting after 3.2 release

1 Like

Late Christmas gifts for CarGame players. Have to make nice wheels and set up suspensions, then the update can be released.

3 Likes

Whee… something “real” to post…

It’s been a pretty sh*tty week here. Lost heat for 3 days, both cars won’t start (main car is going to take $2000 to fix)… After Christmas is really not the greatest time to be accumulating new expenses like they are going out of style… but I digress.

I HAVE gotten to work on my physics engine. Solved a bunch of gnarly design problems and started integrating Mythruna-style block-shape collision detection. So far just sphere-to-blocks but a start is a start:

You may recognize that as a more advanced version of my previous physics engine demo.

All of this new code is modular and prepped for open sourcing someday. Really, that’s been a benefit to me also because it’s easier to get back into it when I’m away for six months or more.

Going to try to get blocks-to-blocks working this weekend so that I can throw some block objects around also. Unfortunately, that’s about half way where I wanted to get over this holiday break… but progress is progress.

22 Likes

Hello monkeys, long time, no see. Mea culpa!
I recently found some time to implement volumetric clouds in papaspace! While the system has still some limitations due to the temporal filtering algorithm used, the result is amazing in most situations:

30 Likes

very nice!!

It’s looking really nice.

What approach did you use?

I wonder… is this for contract work or will this be in a game you are releasing someday?

This looks so awesome, really :heart_eyes:
Could you please make a video clip of that scene?