Deleted project recovery

Now i have created a new project that was not needed.Soo i right cliccked to delete it.When i had a look it was still there,soo i did mright cliccked it once more and did same thing.Now progect i wanted was deleted ,as the one above it,i did not wanted to delete both … soo what i wanted to know if there is a way to recover the other project has got deleted ?

Pull it from backups or check it back out of your source control.

Hopefully you have those things… else you can check a forum for your operating system to see if it moved them to the trashcan or hard-deleted them.

Soo… you are basically saing i should look for a rope and i heigh tree ?

Deleted is deleted, I guess.

You should definitely be using some kind of source control (at least locally… takes 5 minutes to setup)… and you may want to update your backup policy also.

Else, just keep the rope and tree handy as you’ll have this problem again and again… and again.

Edit: I mean, I assume you’ve looked on the disk itself to confirm it isn’t just removed from the SDK’s view.

Well its not like i worked for a year on same project without back up :smile: but the last one lose me a month of smoothing work… Well thnx for help :slight_smile: . Still it could go for some bug list …

“Ah, that was a good day’s work…”

svn commit

“…and boy it feels good to get that checked in.”

…you may want to look into it.

I might suggest looking into a service like BitBucket, or GitHub or something similar.

I use BitBucket since it’s free for teams numbering 5 or less people and the repository is non-public.

GitHub also works but their free model has your repository as public.

Maybe you’re lucky and its in the file history, I think it only works within projects, not for deleting whole projects. (Look in the help for file history, I can’t say off the top of my head where that option is either).

Not that misery loves company but I reported this behavior myself.

What I do now is use git with my external drive to keep it private.

Bitbucket accepts free private repos for your information.

2 Likes

Maybe I should of said completely isolated from the internet.

I think people are overlooking that there is something wonky in either netbeans or the SDK as angel999 and I have reported.

I’ve never experienced the problem myself in netbeans. Wouldn’t even know how or where to start looking on tracking this one down.

Here’s an interesting one for you. Just counted 8 deleted projects in my testing stuff. One was monkeyzone, which was still open, yet it showed as deleted with only the assets folder under the main folder when exploring the files.

Sure enough, closed the open monkeyzone project and now its gone…

if you are up for some raw data mining. as soon as you can make a clone of your hard disk.

There is software that then can extract deleted files from your disk copy.

I was working in the original that’s kept outside the jmonkey projects folder so I didn’t lose anything. That’s why it was still open when the jmonkeyzone project folder did get deleted. My bad.

Makes me wonder if keeping projects outside the jmonkey projects folder will prevent the deletion or if I just got lucky. Would hate to delete my frigging drive somehow randomly.

Yes, SDK is probably busted and should be dealt with.

But, there are approximately 1,452,689 really good reasons to use source control… “because my IDE ate my project” is just one of them.

Bottom line: use source control… or you are just masturbating with code, really.

2 Likes

Some things make no sense to version control. Like simple quick and dirty testing apps used to explore the engine.

Personally, I think from now on I will only delete from windows explorer. At least then you can recover it from trash bin.

I mean… Some people are into that, I guess. :smile:

I use and love Bitbucket. Unlimited free repos for teams smaller than 5 people (I work alone at the moment), and you can use Mercurial instead of the gargoyle that is Git. You also get a wiki and simple issue tracker (which is handy even if you’re working alone).

Indeed. And the “throw away” projects count here, too. Though personally I tend to check those in also.

At home I use SVN. It’s easy to init a repo and especially for single person development it’s super easy. Any technical “knock” against subversion is always related to running remote or in teams (and even then the arguments tend to depend on the team). It’s also great at storing binaries (which git really sucks at).

1 Like

This.

Only reason I went with BitBucket was the “cloud” aspect of it, plus I use a Git system at my work. So trying to bolster my Git-fu in the same process. Otherwise Subversion is suuuuuper easy to use.