Deleted project recovery

Same. The stuff I want to throw away today I might want to reference later.

I started using SVN. The trouble I had was merging nightmares, although I never took the time to properly learn it so that was probably purely my own fault. I really like Mercurial because it’s trivial to develop on both my laptop and desktop without having to merge, merges are generally painless and fully automatic when I do screw up and need to merge, and I can develop remotely without an internet connection and still have full access to my repo. There’s something marvelous about developing code on an airplane at 30,000 feet and still being able to keep a proper commit log. :slight_smile: Plus, if you’re not using a cloud service like Bitbucket you don’t need to have a “central” repo - you can just push/pull between your two machines. I’m not fond of Git because the interface feels cobbled together. Mercurial has a very clean, simple, and elegant interface by comparison. Not sure how Mercurial handles binaries though - I wouldn’t be surprised if SVN still had the upper hand there.

Note: Usually this behavior should be inherent from netbeans, however I’ve also noted that regular files don’t get deleted when you click delete.
Not sure there is an easy way to recover anything, but some people want commits more often than once a day (say like any sub-feature).

Personally, I only commit once a week or so, when I’ve collected a big feature. Not that it would be good, but I’m not savagely deleting projects.

HI, been there so many time I’ve got a closet full of T-Shirts…

@pspeed is right about using a simple SVN (though I will admit I did that and found my old ways creeping back).

So as the adage says “Back up as often as you can afford to lose”.

And on a brighter note I personally have found that EVERY time I had to rewrite what I lost it came out BETTER!!!

Sidenote: Data recovery from windows is much easier than on *nix, for the FAT keeps the lard.

1 Like