Desura Alphafunding

Desura (think Steam for indie+mods) just anounced (? well I just herd about it) Alphafunding :

The idea behind alphafunding is simple, fans get instant access to their favorite games with the understanding that the game might be buggy and isn't complete - but frequent updates will add polish over time. The developers can then fund the games continued creation, giving supporters early access to the latest and greatest content.

Unfortunately they are currently very secretive about the whole deal, but it's worth keeping an eye on as I'm sure there's monkeys evaluating an alpha pre-order style funding model.

Cheers
James
1 Like

@thetoucher: Can you tell more about it? :slight_smile:

• How to join it(if its possible) / etc?
  • How it works(from testers side and developers side)?

no

thetoucher said:
no

hahaha what a crap answer sorry :), I have no idea beyond what they have said :

There are a lot of risks involved with alphafunding so not every game is eligible... but if you are open about your development, want to give and get support from your fans then get in contact and let us know about your project.
src

I think because it's so new they haven't automated the processes yet, and are just testing the waters with the 5 pilot projects. If i had to guess I would say it would be treated like any other digital distribution ... they probably just take a decent cut (10-25% who knows, I base that number on nothing) and they handle financial transactions, refunds, subscriptions, updates etc...

Still early days on this, I will try and keep an eye on it and keep everyone in the know.

Have a look at one of the early adopters of the program for an example. Like Survivors of Ragnarok. Notice the the different “releases”. I believe this is what Desura facilitates. With a strong project and some creative pre-order perks, getting into this trial could go a long way.

So, did anyone apply for this? Don’t be shy; no one knows what exactly their requirements are anyhow, so not getting in wouldn’t in any way be a failure…

im not volunteer if you mean it ;p

maybe i will try write to them in later time, but for now its too early