Dev.java.net hosting not free of charge, actually

We tried to obtain our cvs repository (including history) from dev.java.net to convert it to svn and host it as an additional repository for development of jME 2.0. But it seems that hosting is not that “free” (like in beer ;)) as we thought: They want to charge $500 for it :-o

Renanse wrote a little post on his blog: “Send $500 in small unmarked bills…”

As we won’t spend such a sum we will probably loose the scm history for 2.0 :’(

Any ideas from the community about this?

Fight it?

Blog and post about it on every geek forum and news site?

Or just lose the history  :expressionless:

Spread the word folks!  8)

Hi

I've hit the same issue with JInput, been pondering junking the repository etc, but it's a nasty thing to lose the project url, or have to delete the whole project and recreate it. None of the options seem all that nice :frowning:

Endolf

Damn!, is this also the case with other sites like sourceforge?

is it not possible to export the whole cvs history with 'cvs log' and diff ?

well obviously not or you would have done it already…  :slight_smile:

but i would think you could obtain all the infos needed to import a repository into svn, only with cvs client commands no?

while writing this post i found this:

http://cvs.m17n.org/~akr/cvssuck/

You can 'mirror' a cvs repository using only cvs commands.

See also: http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/faq.html#repoaccess

duenez said:

no, apparently with SF you can access a backup of your CVS respository,
its explained in the Tigris FAQ

Maybe this helps.

You can merge an existing svn into a new one including history, but only if a certain hook is enabled (don't remember which one).

Works with googlecode, we just moved our svn there because sourceforge SUCKS (what a pitty that capital letters is the biggest you can do on a computer).

duenez said:

no. on sf.net you can convert from cvs to svn with a few clicks, you get terminal and ftp access, a wiki, mailing lists and a bit of web space.

core-dump's suggestion is really worth a try imo.

But the downtimes!!!

Sometimes the Sourceforge SVN goes down for several days.

I don't know how it works in JME but we have 5 developers working on our rpojects and waiting 2 days to be able to sync your stuff is simply not an option.

On the rest I agree with irrisor, the goodies you get are great but as far as I see you already have all of them for jme.

i never noticed such problems.

were the downtimes unannounced? when did that last happen?

Core-Dump said:

while writing this post i found this:
http://cvs.m17n.org/~akr/cvssuck/

hey, that's cool :-o - I didn't expect someone could have written such a tool, because it's so easy to zip a repository if you got ssh access

Currently testing it :)
sfera said:

i never noticed such problems.
were the downtimes unannounced? when did that last happen?

Happened very unpredictable. People outside the company I am working for had the same problem.
I can't give you an exact date as we set up our own svn repository inside teh company a few months ago after being cut of from svn for several days.
Since 2 weeks we are noe on googlecode and running in master/slave, which is pretty cool an dprotects us from unexpected downtime.

Hey, good news! After I nearly managed to get things done with cvssuck, I got mails from several people at Sun Microsystems: They wondered how I reached the CollabNet people and before I was able to answer their questions the tar'ed up the first cvs repo and made it available for us :-o

So it seems everything is going to be fine after all. The actual problem was that I was not able to find a way to contact the right people :mrgreen:

P.S. One question remains, though: how many people paid $500 to CollabNet for simple tasks Sun would have done for free }:-@

irrisor said:
before I was able to answer their questions the tar'ed up the first cvs repo and made it available for us :-o

Happy to ear that. I was afraid reading this thread.

irrisor said:
P.S. One question remains, though: how many people paid $500 to CollabNet for simple tasks Sun would have done for free }:-@

Uhmmmm! I hope not so many. Considering that the projects on dev.java.net are OSS i think that nobody there wants to pay such a price for that.

SourceForge sometimes sucks. But till now everything went ok for me. Consider that I have not much traffic on MD5 Reader 2 project.

It could be a solution to place our projects on different (free) mirrors so that we can always count on several repositories.
irrisor said:

So it seems everything is going to be fine after all. The actual problem was that I was not able to find a way to contact the right people :D

Any chance of letting me know who the right people are so I can sort out jinput? :)

Endolf

The feedback/help info will be updated on the site, they said. I'll pm you.

Gentleman Hal said:

Fight it?
Or just lose the history  :|

history is History, anyway :)

I propose that you leave it where it is, as it is. That way, you won't lose the history.

How about using a distributed SCM system like mercurial?
I am starting to use it.

reviving really old dead threads–