Difficulty Understanding Statistics

I’m having some difficulty understanding statistics.

For example:

Textures (M) = 16

Textures (F) = 15

Textures (S) = 20

When I add an object which has one Lighting material and two textures (diffuse and glow), M and F increase by 1, while S increases by 9.

When I remove a BloomFilter, the statistics are like this:

Textures (M) = 11

Textures (F) = 10

Textures (S) = 12

I am trying to learn using this: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:statsview, but I can’t understand fully how they are computed. Any help? How does the Shader, and Texture count statistic increase by using filters?

And most importantly, up to which levels should I aim for an average computer?

Any help?

Just guessing but maybe filters uses textures and shaders? Like maybe a filter renders the scene to a texture, blurs it and then renders the texture to screen.

Thanks. What about average values? How many textures are usually in use in games?

@memonick said:
Thanks. What about average values? How many textures are usually in use in games?

That depends on the game. Could be thousand. Take Disenthral for example. The only textures I use are for the GUI. The rest (almost) is procedural textures and those are not counted in the stats.
@madjack said:
Could be thousand.

You were talking about the ones shown in the stats, right? Anyway, I think I figured them out better. Thanks a lot madjack!

Usually you shouldn’t have thousands of textures on the screen at the same time, thus not in stats. But, it’s not impossible.

Normally I would guess that about a hundred or two would be displayed on the screen concurrently–consequently in stats–under normal circumstances.

As an example, take modern AAA games. Something like Mass Effect 3 or something along that line. There are lots and lots of textures on the screen. Every little model, dials, buttons, doors, walls, characters… Don’t forget sprites, flares, etc, etc.

I assume you were talking about the (F) stats when you say 100, right? i,e, The textures which are being rendered.

Yes, in a frame.

1 Like