Disenthral – Updates

Pretty.

Work in progress is always en enjoyable read :slight_smile:

Have you set up any sort of website for your project yet?

erlend_sh said:
Work in progress is always en enjoyable read :)

Have you set up any sort of website for your project yet?

I'll have to find a catchy name first. ;) The hardest is not to find a title, it's to find a title that works with the story. Titles are everything.

For now Stellar Conquest, the working title, is what I'm using.

Maybe I should use Starruna lol :P

This is so much better than that little spec thing in a box you had before :slight_smile:

Keep it up!

Yeah. I don’t know what I was thinking when I put the frame around the window. Defeats the purpose and I also noted it was taking some rendering time.

In one word, it was superfluous and besides, it didn’t look good. So, OUT! :wink:

GUI has still a lot of work to be done on. All windows are draggable now.

I’m getting the hang of making textures. Made some for gas giants and ice giants (above). Anywho.

Now I’m starting to work on scaling things up…

nice work :wink:

Love seeing this, especially the last screen shot.

Beautiful!! :smiley:

Thanks Addez.

It is indeed purty. :wink: I won’t admit that it’s somehow staged though. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you guys are lucky (or care) I will probably make a new video tomorrow and post it on YT. That is, if I don’t break it until then. :wink:

I think that the planet in the screenshot above is a little too shiny. Why don’t you add a bump map to it?

@memonick

You do realize that this is mostly a placeholder, right? Planet textures will have less shine, I promise. :wink:

@madjack, I know it’s a placeholder, but I thought that you were using the finished textures. Sorry and good luck :slight_smile:

No probs. You don’t see it here, but the texture don’t tile.

Most of the textures I have come up with are close to final. They will be after I make them seamless. Once that’s done, the material will be fixed so that the shininess isn’t as glaring as it is now.

Besides, pretty much everything pertaining to eye-candy will be polished during the last stage of the game. It is way too early to fix that in stone right now. I fix and changes things so often that doing otherwise would only kill my enthusiasm. And we don’t want that. :wink:

No video today! Soon though, I promise!

But… For those interested in something a little different, I started writing about the game. The premise of the whole thing. So if you want to read it, you can click the links below. I’ve got 2 parts written and I hatch those when it pops up. To be immediately notified of new content you can follow me on Twitter or stay tuned here (when I think about it I post about game progress here).

Anyway, here they are (shouldn’t take more than 15 mins to read both):

The Game - A narrative Introduction

The Game - A narrative Introduction, Part II

It is the first draft of both text so it’s possible there are some inconsistencies, typos, errors. Forgive me. :slight_smile:

Alright. It took a while but I finally found a name suitable for my game. I think it’s perfect. :slight_smile:

The official name of the game is Disenthral. I hope you like it.

The domain can be accessed at http://www.disenthral.com although I doubt changes have propagated yet. You can also access it at http://www.danyrioux.com/disenthral during this time. Note that the domain redirects at my main domain as it’s premature to spend on hosting right now.

Expect changes on all fronts in the coming days, weeks and months.

See you there! :slight_smile:

As in “dissing troll” or in “dis–member”? :slight_smile: Sounds unique and somehow memorable in any case. Gratz to having the choice off the table :wink:

As in Dis-enthrall. :slight_smile:

It means “to set free” which is exactly what the game is all about (freeing Earth from malevolent aliens). Fits really perfectly. Both forms, disenthral and disenthrall are good for whoever might be wondering. :wink:

Gratz to having the choice off the table ;)

Thanks! That's probably one of the main reason for my being patient. I had tons of names popping up but they were all "common" and not even worth looking up on google. :D

For whomever cares, the game has now gone burnt dull copper (as opposed to Gold). Meaning the Alpha 1 milestone has been reached. :smiley:

At this point the game has a fully interactive environment which consist of stars and solar systems. You can move around the world, enter and exit said systems. Each system can have a plethora of basic planets and about 40% of systems are binary.

There still isn’t much to be done in the game at this point though, but the next milestone, Alpha 2, will add Quests and interaction with NPCs and more deeply with the world, making landfall, exploring, inventory, etc.

I know I’ve been saying this for months but I will, eventually, post a new video mostly showing off binary systems.

I’m pondering the question of posting a link to the jar file, but unsure for now…

4 Likes

Congrats @madjack!

It’s nice to see that you hang on and keep going further on this game!

Thanks!

I’m always working on it although progress has sometimes been frustrating, but it’s going forward. That’s what matters. :smiley:

Gawd! Has it been really 5 months since I’ve posted here? :cry:

Oh well. It goes at the pace that it has to go…

Here’s a couple of screenshots for your viewing pleasures. :wink:

The first is the work I’m doing on planetary procedural texturing on gas giants. As you can see, it’s almost there! The texture is animated and you should be able to see the bands evolve somehow.

http://www.disenthral.com/files/gas_giant.png

The second shows off a “hot” tellurian planet with its 4 moons. Texturing on the planet is not quite there, but the moons texturing will change very little. The scale may seem a bit odd. I intend to tweak that a bit down the road. I can’t use the same scale as the rest of the world because most times you would barely be able to see those. But I do agree they’re a bit big even if here the view is set in a weird way.

http://www.disenthral.com/files/marsian.png

Anyway, I hope you like.

PS: WTH happened with the “favorite” thread button? I can’t seem to find it anymore. Is it gone?

5 Likes