Documentation page idea

I find the docs page to be a little difficult and time consuming to navigate, my suggestion is the have the little sideways-on-hover menu things, like on the left hand side of the page, it would be much more organized

A little mockup I made:

Whoever is in charge of the site, what do you think?

2 Likes

you are right, there’s probably like 100 links on that main page now (didn’t count). I like your idea :slight_smile: but i know some people will be advocates of the long list! (I sort of like it as well :P)

I too think the main docs page needs to be reconfigured in a better format.

I’m on the fence… people don’t seem to find any of the documentation at all. And even when the links are right there unhidden they don’t see them. I’m not sure making them harder to find will help but then again no one is reading them anyway so… :wink:

Im also for renaming it from “docs” to wiki or something else like “Learn”. Docs sounds like javadocs, or specifications for advanced users, which is not something complete beginners are searching for.

@8Keep123 said: Im also for renaming it from "docs" to wiki or something else like "Learn". Docs sounds like javadocs, or specifications for advanced users, which is not something complete beginners are searching for.

There is nothing that you can name it that wouldn’t turn off someone. “I don’t want to learn, I want to look up how to do X?” “I don’t need a wiki, I need some tutorials.” “I don’t need tutorials, I need some information.”

If people cannot find documentation under the documentation link then they should really consider a different hobby. Understanding that “documentation” may contain the “documentation” that they are looking for, whether javadocs, tutorial docs, informational docs, etc. is kind of a prerequisite for success in anything computer related.

And anyway, even if we named it “Look here! No seriously this is the first place you want to look! No right here! Don’t look anywhere else first.” people still wouldn’t see it. Point of reference, The SDK used to make you click an OK dialog box acknowledging that you understood where the help page was and even now the initial info page has big giant purple arrows… and still no one uses the help in the SDK.