Don't know where to start

The project is to create a large game network, where users can create their own games by using physical objects (bricks), physical forces (forces, velocities, gyros) and Lua scripts. All objects are layed out in a object tree made using JSON.

Problem: use JME3 to render objects, SpiderMonkey for networking and JBullet for physics + synchronize them with the object tree…

I’ve looked through many tutorials but I don’t seem to understand in what sequence everything to do with JME should be done…

More info:

The game has 2 modes. Play and develop. In play, the client has two types of cameras. One type is a first person camera attached to brick called head (characters consist of bricks too), second type is a 3rd person camera targeted at the head at a fixed distance(solid). In development mode, there is a free 1st person camera and everything is paused.

Question: what classes would I need to use to make that and what would be a correct sequence of actions?

This project sounds very advanced, nobody can just answer that in a forum post. Components such as SpiderMoneky have just been created recently, so we do not yet have one example that we could give you, where all these things have been used together – you are simply the first. (As far as i know.)

1. I'd look into spidermonkey first, because networking imposes the biggest contraints on the game structure. Start with an app that has the networking features and lets players log on and interact with something very simple ("click a box in space and change its color" or so, seriously, that simple).

2. Only when this part works, replace the simple box scene with some UI that allows you to switch between the two modes. (At this point, let the two modes still display the intercative box only).

3. Only when this second part works, then replace the interactive box with a box in physics space.

4. Only if that works (with netwoking, switching, and all), go into the two modes, and write the custom cameras.

5. Only then, add "play" and "develop" features.

Just an idea...

We actually wanted to add in the main “core” rendering first (develop mode as it has no physics and pretty much is an implementation of the first person camera). It is just that the set up of jMonkeyEngine is extremely un-ordered - I don’t see any “launch sequence” in it :confused:

nickguletskii said:
We actually wanted to add in the main "core" rendering first (develop mode as it has no physics and pretty much is an implementation of the first person camera). It is just that the set up of jMonkeyEngine is extremely un-ordered - I don't see any "launch sequence" in it :/

Whats unordered? You create an application object and run the start() method on it, then the render thread is started and it calls the initialize() method where you initialize your game. I dont know exactly what you mean by "launch sequence"..

By launch sequence I mean a sequence of objects to add.

Uh, thats what you have to implement, this is a game engine, not LittleBigPlanet :wink: