Downtime due to migration

Very soon the jME forum will go into maintenance mode as we go through with the site migration. For continuous updates during downtime, simply check our twitter!

Skye will come by and try give you some rough estimates on what we’ve got ahead of us in the days to come.

Perhaps you can post this as a news-entry on the front-page?

Not everyone will see this thread here…

Hello jME-land,

As Erlend promised, here I am to provide some more information about the migration and the associated timetable…

the jMonkeyEngine site is essentially a custom built content management system (CMS).  It’s got the Wiki, the article pages (about, home, download, etc), a newsfeed, and most importantly… a forum

The amount of functionality we have here is great, but it means more than one database to transfer, and many, many, pages to backup.  To this end, there is a bit of a discussion going on about the integration of these elements into a proper and more easily managed (for both user and administrator) CMS.  See the discussion here

The migration of the site in it’s current form is slated to take place between July 17th and July 20th, 2009.  Depending on how long it takes the university to forward the correct ports to our server, we should be up running monday/tuesday at the latest.  The site will be sitting dormant at it’s new IP until this transfer.

The way the transfer works is that the forums will be locked and the database will be backed up and imported to it’s new home.  User accounts, posts, links, avatars, should all be the same and working…  During the downtime and while the domain name is switching to the new IP address, a redirect will be located at the front page of the current jmonkeyengine.com

We hope to lose the site for no more than three hours when the transfer takes place and are undergoing extensive testing to be sure that this is as smooth a transfer as possible.  Having our own dedicated server with full root and full physical access will unlock a number of possibilities for the community… we hope you’re as excited as we are!

PLEASE CHECK BACK HERE OFTEN IN THE COMING WEEK TO SEE EXACT TIMES AS THE DATE DRAWS NEAR

EDIT: The forums are now locked… we will be back shortly  :mrgreen:

See our Twitter for updates…

um the migration seems to have messed up my forum favorites, is there an easy way to get all this wired back. This is info and helpful hints that I gather and quite valuable to me

mcbeth said:

um the migration seems to have messed up my forum favorites, is there an easy way to get all this wired back. This is info and helpful hints that I gather and quite valuable to me

As soon as the domain name issues are sorted out that will all be linked up correctly, we're having trouble getting the host to play nice with what we need... sorry about the inconvenience :(

There's some problem with the forum system.  My post http://betaville.bxmc.poly.edu/jme/forum/index.php?topic=11706.msg87608#msg87608 shows up if you drill down to the topic, but the forum listing does not show the updated time.  As new posts to existing (created pre-migration) topics will not sort to the top, it looks like I we will all be unaware of new posts.

blaine said:

There's some problem with the forum system.  My post http://betaville.bxmc.poly.edu/jme/forum/index.php?topic=11706.msg87608#msg87608 shows up if you drill down to the topic, but the forum listing does not show the updated time.  As new posts to existing (created pre-migration) topics will not sort to the top, it looks like I we will all be unaware of new posts.

I'm not sure what you mean... can you clarify the problem a bit?  The thread we're in now was created pre-migration and your post in it showed up in the feed:

The times are not being updated on the forum listing page.  View http://betaville.bxmc.poly.edu/jme/forum/index.php?board=28.0 and see that it shows my last post to the “[committed] support for runtime addition of skins” topic being 5 days ago.  Drill down into the topic and you’ll see that I made a new post to that topic today.

The thread you're speaking of didn't get a new post today, but rather an old post was modified

EDIT: in the forum listing it says that your last post was July 19th… that was only three days ago :?

blaine said:

sbook said:

The thread you're speaking of didn't get a new post today, but rather an old post was modified

I wonder what I clobbered, because I intended for that to be a new post :(

EDIT: in the forum listing it says that your last post was July 19th... that was only three days ago :?

I didn't realize that timestamp up top was creation time of the current post.

Thanks.

happy to be of service :)
sbook said:

I wonder what I clobbered, because I intended for that to be a new post :(

EDIT: in the forum listing it says that your last post was July 19th... that was only three days ago :?

I didn't realize that timestamp up top was creation time of the current post.

Thanks.
sbook said:

mcbeth said:

As soon as the domain name issues are sorted out that will all be linked up correctly, we're having trouble getting the host to play nice with what we need... sorry about the inconvenience :(

any word, a possible ETA ............. 1 week ............... 2 weeks  :?
mcbeth said:

sbook said:

I set up a virtual server to route the domain to yesterday, Monday morning I'm putting a call in to IS to update the tables in their DNS servers, and then we're going to cut the service at the host while keeping the domain.. from there it should be anywhere between 10 minutes and 24 hours for them to update..

Once that happens, jMonkeyEngine.com will be the URL in your browser once you're on the forums and all that.  That will sort out all your favorites and wiki links and all that.  There's also the bit about any favorites you might've saved since we did the transfer a bit under a week ago.  For those, betaville.bxmc.poly.edu/jme will still be live, and will be accessing the same forum databases and wiki pages, so any bookmarks made in the past week will still be quite usable :)
sbook said:

mcbeth said:

sbook said:

I set up a virtual server to route the domain to yesterday, Monday morning I'm putting a call in to IS to update the tables in their DNS servers, and then we're going to cut the service at the host while keeping the domain.. from there it should be anywhere between 10 minutes and 24 hours for them to update..

Once that happens, jMonkeyEngine.com will be the URL in your browser once you're on the forums and all that.  That will sort out all your favorites and wiki links and all that.   There's also the bit about any favorites you might've saved since we did the transfer a bit under a week ago.  For those, betaville.bxmc.poly.edu/jme will still be live, and will be accessing the same forum databases and wiki pages, so any bookmarks made in the past week will still be quite usable :)

cool thanks

You shoud have taken me up on my off to help with administration.  Changing or moving DNS records should not result in A records being completely absent.

Internet resolution failing ATM for www.jmonkeyengine.com and jmonkeyengine.com.

More generally, virtual host name/ip-aliasing issues and transitional forwarding should not take more than a couple days to straighten out.  In the worse case, you could take over management of the DNS domain you own, then set up a trivial standalone Apache or Lighttpd server that would forward URLs with whatever translations you need.  If done this way from the beginning, it would have eliminated the need to ever have the public use goofy http://betaville.bxmc.poly.edu URLs.

We seem to have lost our smileys :frowning:

See!

Also seems like I'm having trouble uploading new packages. Could not install new smiley packages, and the server would not connect to SMF's mod server, which lets you install mods directly from their server.

Might not wanna bother fixing these minor glitches now though if we're gonna move on to 2.0 shortly anyways. If you want to focus on more pressing issues, I could always have one of the SMF support staff do it for us if you can provide FTP access.

Well that's weird… I saw them before I logged in and now I don't :?  maybe it was the page refreshing… I'll have a look into it as well as the FTP access.  I know we've got the right ports forwarded to our sub-domain, just gotta talk to the network admin and make it happen.

are this complete I still gett 404 on my favorites

edit

it seems that what was

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=11569.0

is now

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=11569.0

as an example :frowning:

and the smileys and stuff dont work, had to manually tag for bolding

Yessir, jmeforum is indeed now called forum.  ALL bookmarks for forums threads/posts pre-transfer are intact with that change.  Sorry for the inconvenience :expressionless:  The smileys are a known thing, being worked on today… thanks for the heads-up on the bolding though

I'll say again for the benefit of those annoyed by the past week or two, that this is not just an attempt for folks to get their jollies off.  We're restructuring/changing/improving parts of the site in order to give off a more professional sheen as well as give ourselves the capacity to keep new users on the same page (as well as keeping the development effort active and directed)

When nightly builds are set up, new javadoc will be generated along with the jar's (there's none there ATM, that will change today)

EDIT: Smileys fixed, will take a look at bolding next chance I have during the day