Dynamic Terrain ...?

Hey

Well, I'm still thinking about my rpg, and thanks to Trussell and another few members, I have a direction to start in :slight_smile:

I'm making the base of the game if you know what I mean, no animation yet ect.

And I'm thinking one of the hardest things to get my head around, other than artificial intelligence, will be dynamic terrain loading.

I've checked out llamas' jME terra, it's basically perfect, apart from my framerate is shifted down to  about 15-20 fps, and also freezes every now and then, is there any way to speed it up?

Or should I make my own? How hard can it be … :wink:

Also, does anyone know a good terrain creator/editor which is easy to use, but has many useful features.

And would it be possible to  integrate a model terrain with jme terra?

Basically I much prefer visualisation, rather than coding, so what would be the easiest way of creating a world without coding it until it needs to be used in the game, then how can I integrate it into a game?

Hard question eh? :wink:

Cheers!

Hello Ryanz

You may take a look at jcrpg rpg engine sources to get an idea how to do terrain with jme.

Downloading it now :slight_smile:

Has anyone got any simpler examples? :wink:

Ryanz said:

Downloading it now :)

Has anyone got any simpler examples? ;)

just a side note - jcrpgs terrain generation is quite unique - because it's on the fly for the classic RPGs Cube based space , geography units producing tiles / cubes and it is stitched together with some special geo tiling/normal tweaking from little TerrainBlocks joined by a GeometryBatch. So it's quite unusual and in some ways probably not the best example and also the code is not a streamlined overcommented things. :D Probably check momoko_fan's Texture Splatting terrain pages etc.

EDIT: or http://sourceforge.net/projects/randomworld by Marco, a very cool random world generator with terrain.

cheers,
lead dev of jcrpg
timong said:

Ryanz said:

Downloading it now :)

Has anyone got any simpler examples? ;)

just a side note - jcrpgs terrain generation is quite unique - because it's on the fly for the classic RPGs Cube based space , geography units producing tiles / cubes and it is stitched together with some special geo tiling/normal tweaking from little TerrainBlocks joined by a GeometryBatch. So it's quite unusual and in some ways probably not the best example and also the code is not a streamlined overcommented things. :D Probably check momoko_fan's Texture Splatting terrain pages etc.

EDIT: or http://sourceforge.net/projects/randomworld by Marco, a very cool random world generator with terrain.

cheers,
lead dev of jcrpg

yeah I can see what you mean :P

I'm just checking out Random World, I've seen it before, but never actually got hold of the code, I'm hoping this will be simple enough to help me to learn about dynamic terrain.

My main problem is the height map loading and manipulation, that's the bit I don't get if you know what i mean, I can't work out how to split it up into tiles access them.

Well, there's terrain block which you can probably start off of with and based on it you can write your own thing. For example if you are near the next 'tile' you create a new terrainBlock and position it in place. :slight_smile:

timong said:

Well, there's terrain block which you can probably start off of with and based on it you can write your own thing. For example if you are near the next 'tile' you create a new terrainBlock and position it in place. :)

nice idea, how would I get rid of the old one though, or should I just move that?

Have you seen my post in the user-code section regarding this?

It may or may not be as fast as you need… it runs OK on my system and I’m going to be threading it to eliminate lagging very soon.

I think you should start with Trussell's code example, it shows how to get on-the-fly terrain working and the code is very simple.