Electron Runner - Android Game

Hi guys,

I finally released my latest Android Application (Game) made in jMonkeyEngine.

I wrote this game originally for the 49th Mini Ludum Dare Contest but now I took it a step further and finished it up to be a proper and complete Android game.

Link to old post: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/electron-mini-ludum-dare-49/

Can you guys please download it and try it? Any feedback will be awesome. Also if you could rate it I would also appreciate.

Thanks guys

Get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tgiantlab.electron

Here is a small video:
[video]Electron Runner - Trailer 1 - YouTube

4 Likes

Downloading it now… Will try it on all devices and let you know how it goes.

Definitely will rate & give feedback after!

What a fun game!! Definite keeper! Seriously… no ego stroke here… it is top notch!

Works well on Note 3 & Transformer tablet.

Will try the others next. But first… rating and feedback!

And if you ever find some spare time… I’d LOVE to know how you got the leaderboards working. I’ve had such a horrible time trying to get it working. :wink:

No problem and thanks a million.
I will share what I have done to get the leader board to work.
Just busy right now!

1 Like

Sorry for the bombardment of posts. I’d also love to hear some about how you developed it!

And… it works well on the Tab 2 and HaansPad.

Bit choppy on the Note 2… but most stuff is.

Yeah that is what I also get on my note 2. Some other devices as well.
I don’t know if the choppy’ness has to do with jME or my code logic.
Anyways, I love your feedback thanks.

So, what exactly would you like to here about?

Man you never stop :stuck_out_tongue:
Congrats, gonna download it and I’ll report back :wink:

Man, I will never ever ever stop!
This is my passion and I love making games even though they aren’t the best in the world I will keep on trying to increase my skills.

And maybe one day you never know this might just be my main source of income.

And also, thank you for this brilliant and amazing engine. And thank you for not Giving Up on it!

=D

2 Likes

So I tested it on my nexus 4 and it works fine. It’s a bit twitchy though. I think the particle emitters are taking their share of the fps, so the more the you have on the screen the more it gets jerky.

Otherwise the game is pretty cool and even impressive considering it’s a contest game made in 2 or 3 days.

Excellent. Thanks. I notice the twitchy game play also and I really don’t know what it is.
I will have to disable some of this things and see what might cause the problem.
I don’t know if it is maybe the physics I use in the game because I use the physics to move everything!
I don’t really know…!!!

@ndebruyn said: Excellent. Thanks. I notice the twitchy game play also and I really don't know what it is. I will have to disable some of this things and see what might cause the problem. I don't know if it is maybe the physics I use in the game because I use the physics to move everything! I don't really know...!!!

Not to push my own stuff on someone, but if you use the 2D emitter and the directional influence from the gui library, you could use a single emitter to produce all of the trail effects. It was one of the things I did to increase performance in that Galaga type game. All enemy weapons are a shared emitter.

You may be able to accomplish the same this with JME’s emitter… not sure.

Either way, converting them to a single emitter will help with this issue.

EDIT: Oh… I used this same technique with all of the enemy ships. They are a single mesh. One of the benefits of the AnimElement class. I only mention this, because if you are currently not handling enemies this way, this will also increase performance, depending on the number of electrons at any given time. So far, I’ve seen 10-12(ish)? So in this case, it would take comparing both solutions.

Wow. I never thought of that. I think i shall consider it for sure.
Thanks for the information.

My basic design for my game is this.
I basically generate specific sections of the grid in runtime. There will be always at least 3 grid sections at a time. There will be the current viewing grid which is at the center where the player currently is then there is a section before and at the back. Then when the player is a cetrain distance from the back grid the back grid is removed and a new one is added in front.
This goes on until the player crash.
Each section may contain pickups, enemies, obstacles and power cells.

@ndebruyn said: Wow. I never thought of that. I think i shall consider it for sure. Thanks for the information.

My basic design for my game is this.
I basically generate specific sections of the grid in runtime. There will be always at least 3 grid sections at a time. There will be the current viewing grid which is at the center where the player currently is then there is a section before and at the back. Then when the player is a cetrain distance from the back grid the back grid is removed and a new one is added in front.
This goes on until the player crash.
Each section may contain pickups, enemies, obstacles and power cells.

It worked out very well!

I like the GUI as well… Nifty? Your own? The bounce effect is one of my favorites.

So, what in the game is 2d and what is 3d? Any how did you mix them together?

I use my own gui. Very simple gui made with bitmap font and pictures. I use a tween engine for bounce gui effects.

All gui and hud stuff is 2d. All game play is 3d.

1 Like

works pretty good on my Nexus 5, congrats

My device had an issue with the game! Here are the specs

Device: HTC One X
Android version: 4.1.1
Error: com.jm3.asset.AssetNotFoundException:Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:238)…

Only option is to kill. If you need more details/help figuring this issue out, just ask!

@machspeeds said: My device had an issue with the game! Here are the specs

Device: HTC One X
Android version: 4.1.1
Error: com.jm3.asset.AssetNotFoundException:Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:238)…

Only option is to kill. If you need more details/help figuring this issue out, just ask!

This is an odd one… have you tried running any other JME games on your device?

If not… would you be willing to try another to help him track down the issue? This looks like a JME specific issue, but would be really nice to find out.

If you are willing, try this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pokeyfinger.bugs

And let us know if you hit the same issue.

Thanks!

I have played other jME games on my android (there was that block jME game I downloaded and played earlier on…)

The game you provided @t0neg0d works just fine. No errors anywhere.

@machspeeds said: I have played other jME games on my android (there was that block jME game I downloaded and played earlier on...)

The game you provided @t0neg0d works just fine. No errors anywhere.

Strange one for sure. Thanks for verifying this.

I’ll be watching with interest to find out what the problem is. Definitely want to avoid it… even better if I can intentionally avoid it :wink: