Engine v3.4.0 documentation

I could have sworn I did that last night. Perhaps some cached setting was cleared when I shut down my computer for the night. Thanks!

1 Like

I expect to find 2 kinds of issues with the Wiki:

• “corrections”: documentation that’s misleading or outdated with respect to v3.3 of the Engine, such as uses of the old animation system
  • “updates”: documentation that was OK for v3.3 but will be misleading or outdated with respect to v3.4, such as terrain materials, JOGL, the Blender importer, or native Bullet

I imagine there will be enough updates to warrant creating a “v3.3” branch of the WIki. Until that branch is created, we should hold off on integrating updates. After the branch is created, we can start integrating updates, but from then on, corrections will need to be cherry-picked (duplicated) between “master” and “v3.3”. Does that make sense?

Yes. Best to go ahead and create the new branch before people start doing P/R.

1 Like

I will go ahead and take care of it and update search repo.

1 Like

done. Search will update by tommorrow.

edit:
Ok, just for posterity, I updated the versioning steps for wiki admin. Was missing search info and needed refresh.

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/docs-wiki/3.4/wiki_admin.html#versioning

1 Like

@mitm , i want to add the docs for JmeSurfaceView for Android custom xml apps, would i add it in this page wiki/android.adoc at master · Scrappers-glitch/wiki · GitHub or create a new adoc file…?

I am not familiar with Android at all but if you must tie it to the SDK then yes.

The SDK module will be moving to the SDK repository eventually. We can still include the module no problem afterwards in the wiki but if the content is not updated or the team leaders decide the SDK must not be part or the wiki then go away it will.

There is a minor issue though. Android is part of the engine and is therefore supported.

There is considerable content tied to the sdk also.

If this content can be salvaged/updated into something agnostic of the SDK, including your contributions, I think a better place for it would be a new module in the official wiki under docs/modules/android. If there is not enough content for a module, then a new topic under docs/modules/core/android.

@8Keep123 and @Ali_RS should give their input as they are probably more familiar with Android but this is what I think should happen.

1 Like

No, it’s not jme SDK related stuff, it’s SDK Android Studio related stuff (Android Gradle Stuff) bounded with jme.

It looks like its updating this page from the sdk,

Is this not the case?

1 Like

Its the same SDK page. Which is good that it is being updated.

Im just letting you know that Android is jme supported and that is whats missing from wiki. All Android stuff is currently tied to SDK and SDK is not jme.

The page mentions,

Mobile deployment is a “one-click” option next to Desktop/WebStart/Applet deployment

That shows how stale things are if this is still in the SDK.

I have no problem with the page though, it looks way better than the existing one as near I can tell.

NVM. I misunderstood. You were showing the android page in sdk.

I get it now. As you say its not SDK then we need to add new topic in wiki for it. I apologize for my error.

1 Like

Agree. Everything android-related that is not bounded to JME SDK should go into docs/modules/android IMO.

1 Like

How many pages is it?

Does it include images?

1 Like

It would include images,java & xml, I havenot started writing it yet, but I think it should go with AndroidHarness, & I see AndroidHarness & GlSurfaceView in the page I have linked.

No problem, I will study the android pages carefully, & will see the relevant thing to do.

I setup a new module under docs/modules/android. It will not be viewable in the wiki but the folder structure will be there so you can p/r.

Once you have content, we can evaluate and make adjustments as needed.

2 Likes

What distinguishes the “docs” folder from “docs-transition” and “docs-wiki”? Do I need to worry about updating/revising all 3 folders?

docs is the wiki.

docs-trsansition is just for future wiki editors to know how Antora was implemented. Step by step.

docs-wiki is for wiki editors and contributors. Its a module of the wiki and shows how to use Antora, asciidoctor, and how to contribute.

No updating needed for docs-wiki or docs-transition.

2 Likes

@Pavl_G What’s the status of wiki documentation for the new animation system?

2 Likes

Hi there, yeh currently i have finished the first 2 topics (AnimComposer Controls, TransformTracks & KeyFrames with example code), but i will need some time to learn docs scripting by looking at the antora docs, so i currently have them in a plain text format, Can i do them in html or github scripting ?

2 Likes

No. Asciidoc markup is simple though.

Here is a condensed version.

Here is a more in depth use explaination.

By far, the easiest way to write is using Atom as you can see what is happening live as you edit a page using the page viewer. If it ain’t displayin right in Atom, it ain’t displayin right in the wiki.

Don’t worry to much about errors. The content is more important, errors are easily fixed.

Edit: If you get stuck, you can easily look for something you want to do that’s already in the wiki and just hit the edit page link to see how its done.

3 Likes

I think I owe you all an apology. When I said I could handle this last month (was it that soon?), I didn’t anticipate several personal events that would interfere with this and my various projects in general. However, after multiple broken promises here, I’ve come to the realization that I’m not really at a place where I can really contribute as much as I could earlier this year. Rather than continuously letting you guys wait for my end, I think that it would be best for someone else with more time to handle it. I’ll be uploading what I have to GitHub, so if someone wants to fork that, go ahead.
Again, really sorry for keeping you all waiting.

4 Likes