Environment cam and light probe question

Do we have any tutorials on the proper use of the environment cams and light probe usage in a PBR based scene? Without them my models look like shiny plastic instead of shiny chrome.

This is where I left off myself. I put it down to I have to learn the jme way of implementing pbr so I must be doing something wrong on my end. I had similar results with my materials where no matter what I do, you still wind up with that dull waxy sheen even when maxing out or minimizing parameters.

Just can quite get the look I’m after. 95% there. From what I was reading, all materials, no matter how dull, have a reflection of some sorts when the light hits at certain angles. This seems to be what I am seeing. Its just a tad to strong from some angles.

No tutorial that I’m aware of, however, there is a TestPBR that has the best practices. I use this as the base for all my PBR.

Understanding how and why it works is best solved with some quick googling and reading up on what PBR is. Once you understand where, how and why to use roughness and metallic(ness), you should have little to no issue using this in jME.

If you are getting unexpected results, put up some screenshots and list the settings you are using.

@zissis Did you manually make your materials in jme or do you use the ones imported by the gltf importer? I faced a similar problem and managed to narrow it down that if you disable the MetallicRoughnessMap imported by gltf, the problem disappears, but you have to set metalllic and rough maps manually.

EDIT: Did some more research: As per GLTF 2.0 standard Metallic should be stored in blue channel and Roughness in green channel of the texture. JME’s PBR shader reads Roughness from the red channel and Metallic from blue. Since red channel is always 0 for gltf textures, everything always has a glossiness of 0.

1 Like