Error in Eclipse on Linux

Hi everyone, I’m a beginner trying to teach myself to make games, and I’m trying to start using jME. I’m already firmly established using Eclipse and I really like the syntax highlighting it uses, so I’m not really wanting to use the jME SDK. That said, I can’t get jME working on my machine. After sorting through numerous other errors, I’ve settled on java 17 and am not using Gradle or Maven. Here is the error I’m getting in my HelloJME3 project:

Jun 09, 2022 6:24:12 PM com.jme3.system.JmeDesktopSystem initialize
INFO: Running on jMonkeyEngine 3.5.2-stable

• Branch: HEAD
  • Git Hash: 8ab3d24
  • Build Date: 2022-04-21
    Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-lookup.c: 111: check_match: Assertion `version->filename == NULL || ! _dl_name_match_p (version->filename, map)’ failed!

I have no idea what this means, though in my searches I’ve found that it may be related to java version or LWJGL version. However, I get other errors if I run with Java 8 or 11, and my download did not come with a jme3-lwjgl3.jar at all. I’m at the point of giving up and going back to trying to write my own engine, so if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated. If more information is needed, just ask.

Indeed that is LWJGL 2 and Java version incompatibility problem.

The best solution for you would be to just go with Eclipse and Gradle. If ANT is really preferred then you can of course grab the JARs from MavenCentral (i.e. https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jmonkeyengine/jme3-lwjgl3).

1 Like

like said, use lwjgl3, not old lwjgl2, and if you really need use lwjgl2 with newer java, then disable assertions i guess should avoid issue too. Or use older java versions with it.

with lwjgl2 i had no issues with Java 8/11 as i remember, so idk about what “other errors” you talk about, since you didnt provided them.

Anyway i would suggest mostly lwjgl3 + OpenJDK 11 Stable (new java versions should also work)

Also to mention, because maybe you dont know, but you no need use jme-SDK to use JME

For Mythruna, I still use lwjgl2 and Java 18. (I’m on an aggressive schedule and don’t want to have to work around a bunch of different lwjgl version issues.)

I originally had some lib .so compatibility issues on Linux but I follow badlogicgames on twitter and some time back he posted a libgdx fix that I borrowed.

In my case, I used this in kind of a hacky solution where I patched my own lwjgl-platform-2.9.3-natives-linux.jar with the newer libs and then insert it into my project during build. But I guess probably there is a better fix and I don’t know which project needs to be involved.

I was looking for short term solutions to get my release out. If others are in the same boat then they can also pull that thread if they are expert enough to navigate those waters.

4 Likes