Error running TestWalkingChar out of the box

I’m trying to simply get the out-of-the-box testWalkingChar running on windows 7… The behavior I’m seeing is just plain strange… The Walking char doesn’t walk with the WASD keys. It stands in mid-air and does nothing, except facing the direction I specify… I can see some bricks falling through the landskape… And the fire key shoots some green balls…

Is that the intended behavior??? Because in the code I see something regarding animation…

Hi, I was about to ask the same question…initially looking at the code I noticed that CharacterControl was striked out (meaning a dashed line across the class name) which indicated that the class is deprecated. I don’t fully know if this might be the actual reason however. I have the latest build, 3.0.10, windows 8.1. My Java version is 1.8.0.51, but shows Java™ SE Runtime Environment 1.7.0_51-b13 on the about page in Jmonkey.

Oh, that about the java I think I can answer… JMonkey comes with JDK 7 in the package… It is possible to point to a different JDK at the project by going to the “Libraries” properties for your project and selecting the JDK you want to use… But this only specifies the runtime you will be using for your game, not for the IDE itself…

One thing I think I’ve detected, though, is that it seems to not support java 8 new functionalities, such as lambdas, directly from the ide, so you will have to code based on java 7 functionality…

You can build java 8 features with a java 8 JDK, you just don’t get code completion for it. Hiwever, Java8 doesn’t work for Android or iOS so I’d generally suggest keeping your code Java7-compatible.

Hi Normen, thanks for the reply.

To be safe i had reverted my Java to the latest Java 7 version, since I want max compatibility with Android which I’m trying to learn on my spare time.

I have a similar problem with the OP, in that when I ran the testWalkingChar program, the avatar is floating in the terrain, and is not animating except to turn in the direction of where I press the directional keys. When I press the space bar, the character animates his right arm but the bullets fire on the wrong direction.

Just curious, are you guys using the same test model as the original test or have you substituted your own?

Hi pspeed, for my part I was just running the JmeTests included in the default SDK, the one with the Oto model. I haven’t modified any code or used any of my own assets.

Could it be the system somehow defaults to hardware skinning and it doesn’t happen?

Same for my part, the TestWalkingChar never walked for me, and I’ve already installed JMonkey engine some times in the last few months…
I’ve checked the difference between the test and the git head and there are no differences if I remember well… I was kind of hoping there would be some difference… I’ve tested with jdk7 and 8 with the same effect…

Oh another thing, I am using a laptop, a Lenovo with Nvidia Optimus GT555, the one that shares with the Intel HD 3000 chipset.