Error using createMeshShape on scene containing terrainQuad

So i used terramonkey to make a basic scene containing nothing but a flat terrainQuad.

When I try to make a mesh exact control for it to add to the PhysicsSpace it crashes. Here is the stack trace:

Jul 22, 2011 9:00:02 PM com.jme3.app.Application handleError

SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException

at java.nio.Buffer.checkIndex(Buffer.java:514)

at java.nio.DirectIntBufferU.get(DirectIntBufferU.java:236)

at com.jme3.scene.mesh.IndexIntBuffer.get(IndexIntBuffer.java:52)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.Converter.convert(Converter.java:248)

at com.jme3.bullet.collision.shapes.MeshCollisionShape.createCollisionMesh(MeshCollisionShape.java:70)

at com.jme3.bullet.collision.shapes.MeshCollisionShape.(MeshCollisionShape.java:65)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.CollisionShapeFactory.createSingleMeshShape(CollisionShapeFactory.java:174)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.CollisionShapeFactory.createCompoundShape(CollisionShapeFactory.java:65)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.CollisionShapeFactory.createCompoundShape(CollisionShapeFactory.java:62)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.CollisionShapeFactory.createCompoundShape(CollisionShapeFactory.java:62)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.CollisionShapeFactory.createCompoundShape(CollisionShapeFactory.java:85)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.CollisionShapeFactory.createMeshCompoundShape(CollisionShapeFactory.java:94)

at com.jme3.bullet.util.CollisionShapeFactory.createMeshShape(CollisionShapeFactory.java:134)

at mygame.BattleField.(BattleField.java:50)

at mygame.Main.initMap(Main.java:85)

at mygame.Main.simpleInitApp(Main.java:52)

at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.initialize(SimpleApplication.java:218)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:138)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:206)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Any idea why this is happening? Am I supposed to treat terrainQuads differently with respect to physics?

look at TerrainTestCollision

First I was looking at the TestTerrainCollision that comes in JMP which used PhysicsNodes, and I knew that wasn’t right.

So I took a look at the svn and found the newer version.

It uses:

[java]

terrain = new TerrainQuad(“terrain”, 65, 513, heightmap.getHeightMap());

TerrainLodControl control = new TerrainLodControl(terrain, getCamera());

terrain.addControl(control);

terrain.setMaterial(matRock);

terrain.setLocalScale(new Vector3f(2, 2, 2));

terrain.setLocked(false); // unlock it so we can edit the height

rootNode.attachChild(terrain);

/**

• Create PhysicsRigidBodyControl for collision

*/

terrain.addControl(new RigidBodyControl(0));

bulletAppState.getPhysicsSpace().addAll(terrain);

[/java]

The only way this differs from my code is that it is creating the TerrainQuad in code. I am trying to load it from a scene:

[java]

Node terrainScene = (Node) assetManager.loadModel(“Scenes/BattleFields/TerrainTest.j3o”);

TerrainQuad tQ = (TerrainQuad) terrainScene.getChild(0);

tQ.addControl(new RigidBodyControl(0));

physics.addAll(tQ);

[/java]

This was not the only way I tried. I tried adding the control while leaving the scene as a Spatial and casting it to a Node. I tried it on the object itself and on its children. I’m at a loss. Am I misunderstanding something about how scenes are structured? I assumed I could import them and treat them like any other Node or Spatial.

Thanks for the help!

Ok so I’ve found that this only happens when I change its location. I had dropped it down to (0,-20,0) in the scene editor and this was causing it. When I made it (0,0,0) it ran fine.

It also crashes if I try using setPhysicsLocation(0,-20,0) after everything has been added to the rootNodes and PhysicsSpace. So I guess the new question is, why does moving the terrain cause this error or how am I supposed to move it instead?

What error are you getting when you use setPhysicsLocation()?

TestCollisionGroups has examples of setPhysicsLocation.

I’m not on a machine with jme right now, and it might be a few days for me to get to one so I can look at this issue. Hang tight and bare with my absence :slight_smile:

This is very strange, but when I went to recreate the error it worked fine. With both setPhysicsLocation and the scene editor setLocalTranslation. Thanks for the response lol. If I run into it again I’ll post here.