Error with build.xml

I've recently come back to jME, looking to use it for my next game… but I'm now getting the following error when I try to build it:

BUILD FAILED
C:workspacejMEbuild.xml:52: Error running javac.exe compiler

It's odd, as I haven't changed any of my settings. I just updated the project from CVS. Do we need to set something differently in Eclipse these days?

do you have a jdk installed? :slight_smile:

lol… yes.  :stuck_out_tongue:

It should be noted, I can run any of the examples and things no problem. I just can't run the ANT build.

eclipse doesn't need a jdk. it runs (and compiles) just fine with only a jre installed

edit: just try typing 'javac -version' on the console

Sfera works quick

:smiley:

IMO get JDK 1.5.0_10

I was running into a lot of problems in 1.6 before. Mostly when attempting to build.

lol… look at that! I do have the JDK installed, but Eclipse was pointed only to the 1.6 JRE. I reset the JRE version to the one included with the JDK, and it worked! Thanks guys!

i'm glad i could help  :wink:

elias4444 said:

lol... look at that! I do have the JDK installed, but Eclipse was pointed only to the 1.6 JRE. I reset the JRE version to the one included with the JDK, and it worked! Thanks guys!

Hi everyone...
I've read many good things on this engine and wanted to try it.I've been able to run all the examples but can't build jME:I got the same error message than you elias4444.I simply don't know how to reset the "JRE version to the one included with the JDK",not to say,I don't really understand what you mean.I'll be glad if you show me how to do it,since I'm only using eclipse for the first time...
Here's the compiler message:

Buildfile: N:Program FileseclipseworkspacejMonkeyEnginebuild.xml
Overriding previous definition of reference to classpath
init:
    [echo] jmeKeyStore
compile:
    [javac] Compiling 1526 source files to N:Program FileseclipseworkspacejMonkeyEnginebuild

BUILD FAILED
N:Program FileseclipseworkspacejMonkeyEnginebuild.xml:53: Error running javac.exe compiler

Total time: 7 seconds

Thanks

that message means that the java compiler can't be found (javac.exe in your case).

if you want to run the ant build, you have to have a jdk (1.5+) installed and the PATH variable has to point to JDKbin directory (that's where the java compiler lives) :slight_smile:

if you are using eclipse, don't need the jars and just want run the demos then you don't need to run the ant build.

set up the jdk in eclipse (Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs : make sure the jdk is listed in there). then make sure that jme uses the jdk and not the jre.

if you didn't set up the jre manually for jme, then just make sure the jdk is the default and everything should be fine :slight_smile:

sfera said:

set up the jdk in eclipse (Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs : make sure the jdk is listed in there). then make sure that jme uses the jdk and not the jre.
if you didn't set up the jre manually for jme, then just make sure the jdk is the default and everything should be fine :)

BUILD SUCCESFUL!!!

I've done what you told me and it has worked.
Thanks for the help sfera.
Now I can begin learning game and graphics programming more seriously.
Well,I've read,I don't remember where,that the architecture of jME is based on the WildMagic Engine of Dave Eberly,described in two of his books(maybe three,one being Game Engine Design and Architecture).Is that true?
I am just asking this in case I might feel that reading a more general book would help me mastering all the concepts behind a game engine,and if the one described in that book is close,in terms of architecture,to this java engine,it could be a valuable reading.
Don't worry,I've compiled WildMagic and there some important features missing in that engine.I will stick to this well appreciated engine.

i'm glad that i could help. this was actually documented in the wiki in the form of a sentence: "You have to be using JDK for Ant build to work". i'll make an attempt to add a bit more information.

as for your question regarding jme (this is a quote from the jme website - "What is jME"):

jME (jMonkey Engine) is a high performance scene graph based graphics API. Much of the inspiration for jME comes from David Eberly's book 3D Game Engine Design.
sfera said:

i'm glad that i could help. this was actually documented in the wiki in the form of a sentence: "You have to be using JDK for Ant build to work". i'll make an attempt to add a bit more information.

as for your question regarding jme (this is a quote from the jme website - "What is jME"):

jME (jMonkey Engine) is a high performance scene graph based graphics API. Much of the inspiration for jME comes from David Eberly's book 3D Game Engine Design.

Yes,I've read it again,and it is clearly stated in the "setting_up_eclipse_to_buid_jME" guide...That's what happens when you believe that you've done everything right and don't even think reading everything from the beginning.
Anyway,thanks.

i kind of updated the wiki. please verify if the information is clear enough.

does anyone know why the image is not displayed?

sfera said:

i kind of updated the wiki. please verify if the information is clear enough.

does anyone know why the image is not displayed?

Thanks for your disponibility.
Yes the info is clear definitiveky clear.