Excepton when importing model from Blender 3.67

When loading following model:

I’m getting exception from BlenderModelLoader:

java.io.IOException: No data stored for address: 147905224. Make sure you did not open the newer blender file with older blender version.
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.BlenderModelLoader.load(BlenderModelLoader.java:98) ~[bin/:na]
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.BlenderModelLoader.load(BlenderModelLoader.java:1) ~[bin/:na]
at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:288) ~[bin/:na]
… 12 common frames omitted
Caused by: com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.file.BlenderFileException: No data stored for address: 147905224. Make sure you did not open the newer blender file with older blender version.
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.file.Pointer.fetchData(Pointer.java:94) ~[bin/:na]
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.meshes.MeshHelper.getVerticesColors(MeshHelper.java:494) ~[bin/:na]
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.meshes.MeshHelper.toMesh(MeshHelper.java:123) ~[bin/:na]
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.objects.ObjectHelper.toObject(ObjectHelper.java:160) ~[bin/:na]
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.BlenderModelLoader.load(BlenderModelLoader.java:70) ~[bin/:na]
… 14 common frames omitted

Model has vertex colors, which might be slightly non-standard thing. No animations, no textures, just single model.

Is it know issue? Is blender 3.67 supported or should I downgrade?

Wow… 3.67 is out already. I just downloaded 2.69 last night. :wink:

You may want to confirm your blender version number to get proper help from the blender experts here.

Yeah… I meant 2.67, sorry.

I currently use the blende rin the arch linxu repositories, so I would say probably the newest there is, and had none problems.

Might be related to the file itself, that something confuses the loader, or you use a feature that does not work with the newer version and I did not use.

Did you do a simple test, eg just a cube and if that works a uv mapped cube to see if one of those fail?

Removing vertex colors from same model make it load properly (but of course I want to have vertex colors…).

@Kaelthas did some changes for vertex colors recently.

@mifth said: @Kaelthas did some changes for vertex colors recently.

Yes - thanks, this was it. Updating svn fixed the issue - 17/11 changes have solved the problem.

BTW, what are the chances that I have used blender for the first time in my life and hit the showstopper which was fixed just 4 days before…

Problem solved.

1 Like
@abies said: Yes - thanks, this was it. Updating svn fixed the issue - 17/11 changes have solved the problem.

BTW, what are the chances that I have used blender for the first time in my life and hit the showstopper which was fixed just 4 days before…

Problem solved.

Considering how rapidly Blender’s file format seems to move and how fast Kaelthas tries to fix issues… it’s probably more common than one might expect. :slight_smile:

@abies

this problem occurs when you have blend file made with newer version of blender and open it with an older blender version.

The data in blender file is stored in data blocks and sometimes it happens that I find a pointer with a value that has no corresponding block anywhere in the blend file.
Doing some changes to the file, like adding a mesh and deleting it, forces sometimes blender to rewrite the file properly.
In your case it was probably the removing the vertex colors :slight_smile:

This error was due to errors in blender file itself rather than problems with vertex colors.

Hmm, thats interesting, because I have created this file in one evening, with just one version of blender (unless you count downgrade from 3.67 to 2.67 in my mind…).
I’m not challenging the fact that it was caused by file corruption, but corruption itself was not caused by multiple blender versions.

@abies if you still have this file, could you uplod it and send me a link ?
I was planning to report this issue to the blender team before, but I thought this was caused by my bad usage of different blender versions.

And now that it occured while using a single blender version it might be worth telling the blender guys about it.

It is in original post -

If there is a problem with accessing it, please let me know - I’m not using dropbox routinely.

Looks like your action of removing the vertex colors actually fixed the issue.
But if you ever come accross something like this in the future pelase let me know.

Ok, to exaplain things exactly:
File which is attached HAS vertex colors in it. If you open it in blender, you will see it has colors.
When I tried to open it with 10th Nov version of JME3 svn, it was throwing the exception as given above.
When I tried to open it with 17th Nov version of JME3, it has loaded without exception. So one of the fixes from 15/17 of Nov stopped it crashing, but still doesn’t load colors properly.
When I took that file, removed vertex colors (this file is just on my disk and is called axispure.blend) it worked ok even with 10th Nov version.

So, in dropbox, you have the file which:

• is corrupted enough to crash 10th Nov version of JME3
  • loads properly with vertex colors in Blender

@abies

OK I think I got it.
The problem was that your model did not have any material.
Vertex colors were being enabled when material was applied on the loaded geometry and it happened only when you turned the use of vertex colors for the specified material.

Now I added using vertex colors if they are defined and the model has no material definition.

Please update to the newest version and let me know if it works now :slight_smile: