Excluding group forums from main forum index

@normen said: @pspeed, @zarch: Just imagine we are a thriving community with hundreds of active projects and games and agree with me ;) Engine problems should be posted in the engine forums, if somebody wants a feature for some external lib or reports a bug I don't need to see that.

True, but that also negates promotion of projects to the JME community, unless there are other mechanisms you had in mind for this?

And the reverse is true as well… I don’t “need” to see help requests, but if everyone didn’t see them on the latest posts list, you would be the only person answering them =( Kinda the whole idea of community.

And I think “thriving” projects (like games) will setup their own forums anyway. Mythruna is by no means a thriving project in many terms but I got tired of potential users complaining about having to join a (to them) completely unrelated forum just to ask questions about Mythruna.

I see these groups as for the intersection of community projects and JME concerns. For something like custom GUIs, this is all the time. For something like a game, there is much less intersection.

If the groups get hidden then we’ll all just end up double posting so people will actually see the stuff anyway.

The thread was beyond a clean split, but this should do. So regarding “Should group forums, i.e. project forums, be included in the main forum index?”, here:

#1 - This is what I imagined needs doing: http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/is-there-a-way-to-exclude-a-forum-from-latest-posts/

#2 - The reason I imagine this could still work, is because just like we have a “Latest posts” link now, we could just as well have a “Latest project posts” as well, right there next to it.

@erlend_sh said: The thread was beyond a clean split, but this should do. So regarding "Should group forums, i.e. project forums, be included in the main forum index?", here:

#1 - This is what I imagined needs doing: Topic: Is there a way to exclude a forum from latest posts? · bbPress.org

#2 - The reason I imagine this could still work, is because just like we have a “Latest posts” link now, we could just as well have a “Latest project posts” as well, right there next to it.

So, we end up posting twice. Once to the group and once again to the user code and projects group to let people know we posted to the group… because no one will ever bother to click the second link, really.

Well, I’ll tell you what we can do. We’ll start off including group forums in the main index because that’s how it works by default and we’d need help in the PHP department to make it work any other way regardless. Give that some time, and we’ll see how it affects us, and maybe later we’ll get the chance to try excluding it from the index and then we’ll actually have numbers to tell us which prediction is true.

I will not tolerate more than 5 groups here in the main overview, it was already bad enough when 3079 got successful.

…and then 3079 got its own forum.

@normen said: I will not tolerate more than 5 groups here in the main overview, it was already bad enough when 3079 got successful.

I would suggest a user defined filter to exclude groups or specific groups so you personally don’t have to “tolerate” them. What @pspeed said is completely accurate… people will double post, or just stop using the groups all together if they get filtered out.

What I think is ultra sad is, this is more than likely due to the plugin I am working on, and the impression I get from you is… I am a bother to you and your ultimate goal (which apparently excludes contributions bettering JME for some reason). I’m sorry if posts to the two threads concerning this are bothering you, but one would think that the activity alone would have you interested in seeing what it is all about, not trying to get it shoved into a dark corner someplace.

I have to say something here, although I’m not participating very often in such discussions. :smiley:

@t0neg0d said: [...] you and your ultimate goal (which apparently excludes contributions bettering JME for some reason)
That's... just wrong and I think, you know that. I've seen so many topics where the core members begged the users to contribute their posted content. Just because too many subforums destroy the clarity of the forum index, that doesn't mean contributions aren't welcome. ;) Imho, this has nothing to do with you or your plugin, but please don't expect, we all will praise the lord for it^^
@destroflyer said: I have to say something here, although I'm not participating very often in such discussions. :D

That’s… just wrong and I think, you know that. I’ve seen so many topics where the core members begged the users to contribute their posted content.
Just because too many subforums destroy the clarity of the forum index, that doesn’t mean contributions aren’t welcome. :wink:
Imho, this has nothing to do with you or your plugin, but please don’t expect, we all will praise the lord for it^^

I beg to differ:

@normen said: I will not tolerate more than 5 groups here in the main overview, it was already bad enough when 3079 got successful.

They are welcome as long as they are quiet.

The group forums are supposed to be separate forums for certain jme-related projects. Theres no aggregated overview at blogspot.com or at Facebook, nor was there on MySpace… I think we talk about different things. You talk about the occasional post about some contribution, I talk about a thriving community of developers, game producers, artists and more. If theres single plugins that are so close to core that they should be in the main stream, okay. And again, theres no need to post a question that is about something in the engine in a group forum, even if the solution would be for some plugin… Finally I can’t help if @t0neg0d takes this personal and I won’t lament about that it isn’t :roll:

@pspeed said: ...and then 3079 got its own forum.

…instead of a forum here in the Projects list that doesn’t annoy us, yeah.

@t0neg0d said: They are welcome as long as they are quiet.
/sigh.. seriously? In the forum overview, where I go *every day* to help people that have problems with the *engine*, yes.
@normen said: /sigh.. seriously? In the forum overview, where I go *every day* to help people that have problems with the *engine*, yes.

The only issue I have with this is… Latest Posts are not Engine specific. There are sub-forums for that… and people post to them.

If you have a specific issue with the Latest Posts index, the resolution to fix YOUR issue, shouldn’t effect the rest of us. Thus, the suggestion of user defined filters? Or a user-defined block list that excludes specific thread you don’t want to see?

Personally, I like seeing everything… game related, plugin updates, trouble tickets, whatever. I learn something from everything I read. I think it would SUCK any of it was filtered out for me because of an issue you were having.

I agree with tonegod on this - I’m not using her GUI but I’m still interested in her progress on it for future reference. It really does sound like this calls for filters on latest posts - so you can do core latest posts only for example.

Thats what @erlend_sh suggested, two lists, yet the discussion went on. But I still think you think too small. With 10 projects this will be a mess I tell ya.

He may have suggested it but the discussion moved on :wink:

The point is that there should be a single link I can click on to see all the posts - not two separate links.

Ideally I’d then be able to set up my own preferences to exclude certain projects from the lists if traffic in those projects became too high and/or became irrelevant to the bigger jme picture.

@t0neg0d: I regard it not as “filtering out” I regard it as “adding the other posts”, its a terminology issue. As it turned out with the active project groups thats much more what it is. We get posts with titles like “why doesn’t it run on mac?” in the stream suddenly that don’t mean jME but some game based on jme…

So lets make a “uber-overview” and lets see who regards it as useful in two years :stuck_out_tongue:

What about an option in the user profile? By default, only jme-core-related topics are shown in the “Latest posts” (due to what Normen said, when reaching a certain amount of featured games, contributions etc. this will be a complete mess^^ Additionally, the average user isn’t interested in project a, b, c, d, e, f, g, and h at the same time).

And those, who want to see everything (by their own reasons), can activate the option so the group posts are included in the stream.

@normen said: Thats what @erlend_sh suggested, two lists, yet the discussion went on. But I still think you think too small. With 10 projects this will be a *mess* I tell ya.
I think what they're talking about is something more like this: http://imgur.com/DAskCBM,ps121ey#0

You’d have certain categories or tags that you could choose not to include in the index, if you just figure you’re never gonna be interested. This choice should be stored in a cookie or something so that every time you open the index it remembers your previous set-up. This would require quite a bit of tricksy PHP magic though.

Edit: To clarify, the mockups above are some “blue skye” forum design ideas that I’ve just been playing around with. In our case, the realistic thing to do first off would be to exclude certain forums, not tags and post types.

If we had a REAL forums software, we wouldn’t have to cope with this… dilemma.

If I ever install BuddyPress on one of my own site, please someone remind me so I can hire someone to shoot me. There is no word to describe how I despise that thing.

/rant off

On topic. I don’t read all the posts but when I check it’s ALWAYS with the latest posts and guess what? I deal with the fact that most posts don’t interest me or are questions that shouldn’t be asked…

Useless post #2120 by @madjack. I am neither blind nor dumb but I really am through with all this monkey business lately… What the heck is up with all that “normen is the man” (in the sense of 70s songs) shit? Are you and t0neg0d having wild forbidden sex going back to feeling like you’re 16? xD

I’ll reformulate the post containing the seemingly offensive “tolerate” to: “If I don’t have a chance to see the actual jME engine issues like I do now I won’t have the time to bother and pick out the actual support requests anymore”, now I’m out of here.