Excluding group forums from main forum index

@normen said: Useless post #2120 by @madjack. I am neither blind nor dumb but I really am through with all this monkey business lately.. What the heck is up with all that "normen is the man" (in the sense of 70s songs) shit? Are you and t0neg0d having wild forbidden sex going back to feeling like you're 16? xD

HUh, where is this coming from? All I’m saying is I don’t like (understatement) BuddyPress. shrug If it weren’t for you guys, I’d have been out of here a long time ago (as far as forum’ing goes).

I can lend you an iron to unwrinkle your underwear now that you’ve bunched them up. :stuck_out_tongue:

@madjack said: HUh, where is this coming from? All I'm saying is I don't like (understatement) BuddyPress. *shrug* If it weren't for you guys, I'd have been out of here a long time ago (as far as forum'ing goes).

I can lend you an iron to unwrinkle your underwear now that you’ve bunched them up. :stuck_out_tongue:

You don’t like buddypress but you deal with the issues in buddypress, thanks for the info. We will build on it.

@normen

Hey now! Don’t limit my promiscuity to just @madjack

I sleep with everyone.

1 Like

I’ll be the bigger man and stay away from here.

Btw, I have no final say on anything… and if my suggestion is just ignored (not saying it is being ignored), I’ll work with whatever I get.

But, saying that I (or anyone with a different opinion) am/are not seeing the “big picture” is sorta silly, considering my big picture, @normen 's big picture, @destroflyer 's big picture, @madjack 's big picture, @erlend_sh 's big picture are all probably different. That’s why there are things like “user preferences”.

/shrug

@t0neg0d: I wonder who on TV or whatever talked about a “bigger picture”, I talked about the difference in what you imagine and what I imagine. When I say “you think too small” then I mean how you try to frame the problem that I am talking about. Nobody told me “its only gonna be 3 projects for now anyway” so I can’t really expect this to be understood can I?
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless theres emotes that hint otherwise or theres an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

@zarch said: Ideally I'd then be able to set up my own preferences to exclude certain projects from the lists if traffic in those projects became too high and/or became irrelevant to the bigger jme picture.

@normen@zarch was on TV… weren’t you watching? O.o

lol, ok ^^ Thats what quoting is for :wink:
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless theres emotes that hint otherwise or theres an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

@t0neg0d said: I would suggest a user defined filter to exclude groups or specific groups so you personally don't have to "tolerate" them.
Okay, this sounds quite similar to what @destroflyer described here.

Personally I think it’s more important to show it in the forum index sidebar than the user profile, but we can talk more UI stuff later. For the functionality you both describe, the best approach for this type of filtering would probably be to base it on Forum Categories, i.e. the 3 parent forums, Troubleshooting, Development and Projects. What we want is to let the user decide which of these 3 forums, 1 or all 3, to show in their own “Latest posts” index, right?

What I think is ultra sad is, this is more than likely due to the plugin I am working on
No, this is absolutely nothing personal. What we have here is merely a discussion about content visibility and filtering, for the good of all future projects. This conversation is about accommodating both the core developers as well as the contributing developers with as few compromises as possible.
@erlend_sh said: No, this is absolutely nothing personal. What we have here is merely a discussion about content visibility and filtering, for the good of all future projects. This conversation is about accommodating both the core developers as well as the contributing developers with as few compromises as possible.

I stated that poorly… what I meant by this was that is was rearing up an old issue again… not that it was the sole cause.

@erlend_sh said: Okay, this sounds quite similar to what @destroflyer described here.

Personally I think it’s more important to show it in the forum index sidebar than the user profile, but we can talk more UI stuff later. For the functionality you both describe, the best approach for this type of filtering would probably be to base it on Forum Categories, i.e. the 3 parent forums, Troubleshooting, Development and Projects. What we want is to let the user decide which of these 3 forums, 1 or all 3, to show in their own “Latest posts” index, right?

No, this is absolutely nothing personal. What we have here is merely a discussion about content visibility and filtering, for the good of all future projects. This conversation is about accommodating both the core developers as well as the contributing developers with as few compromises as possible.

That filtering is simple enough that even cookie settings etc is overkill. Just add &filter=tdp &filter=t or whatever to the URL. people can then bookmark whichever version they like.

@zarch said: That filtering is simple enough that even cookie settings etc is overkill. Just add &filter=tdp &filter=t or whatever to the URL. people can then bookmark whichever version they like.
Yeah, that sounds wonderfully uncomplicated. The trick will be to just figure out how to make that filter work then.

@t0neg0d would you care to take a stab at this? It would be a huge help.

@erlend_sh Sorry, just saw this…

Np there. Just PM the info and I’ll do it.

Not sure about storing the user preferences… but even WP query wrapper is pretty easy to work with.