Exercise: Work on someone else's unfinished game (or share your own)

Ran into this post on Hacker News which makes a lot of sense:

Every time I get a new job I am being thrown right into middle of the action. No tutorials, no babysitting - just a real project and a task to complete.

It is a very stressful and frustrating at the beginning - but - after a short while not only I have completed the task - but also have this feeling that in a month of practice I’ve learned more than in a year of solving theoretical and imaginary problems.

So - I’ve prepared an unfinished game - and a plot for you as a new employee.

Let me know does it work for you and what was your experience with it.

This one’s in JavaScript. If any jMonkey every feels like putting together a “story” like this for a Java project, I’d be happy to help.

4 Likes

I’ve finished the javascript story, it was really easy and fun! :slight_smile: , I hope that someone more skilled then me in the community, will port that concept to JME! :slight_smile:

So, the point of this topic is to share unfinished projects and to ‘pick up’ someone else’s dead projects?

If so, then I wouldn’t mind helping on a few projects (after I finish a few of my own), though I think it should be a bit more organized then just putting everything on a topic and hoping it’ll all work out.

I started something similar to this recently, and it already has tought me a few things.

@beniboy said: So, the point of this topic is to share unfinished projects and to 'pick up' someone else's dead projects?

If so, then I wouldn’t mind helping on a few projects (after I finish a few of my own), though I think it should be a bit more organized then just putting everything on a topic and hoping it’ll all work out.

I started something similar to this recently, and it already has tought me a few things.

Did you read the links? It’s pretty clear that this example was contrived for the sake of learning and not just some random unfinished project. So this isn’t just a “Pleez can help me with game?” topic… it’s about a different way of learning where people might post their own “stories” in a similar vein.

1 Like