Explore folder

Would it be possible to add an “explore folder” option or something in the menu when you right click on assets?

I know it only takes ten seconds to find and open the folder myself, but if someone could add that in a few minutes that would save thousands of seconds.

Sorry if there is a way and I’m just an idiot. Also, there doesn’t seem to be “SDK” in the Development part of the forum.

What do you mean by “explore folder”?
you mean a syncing between the opened file and the project explorer?
If that’s what you want, go to the “View” menu and check “Synchronize Editor with Views”

I think he means “Show in explorer”. Clicking the entry opens up the folder where the file is. (in a a Windows Explorer window on windows, a Finder window on mac and whatever file handling software is used on linux):

No,

If your project is in C:\A\Stupidly\Long\Name\For\A\Folder\ Then you don’t have to go:
C:\ -> C:\A\ -> C:\A\Stupidly\ … etc
just to open your assets folder.

Say instead you just right click on assets\Textures and then click a button and it opens “C:\A\Stupidly\Long\Name\For\A\Folder\assets\Textures” in Windows explorer.

Obviously it would need to know if you’re using Windows/MacOSX/Linux but I assume it can already do that.

@kwando said: I think he means "Show in explorer". Clicking the entry opens up the folder where the file is. (in a a Windows Explorer window on windows, a Finder window on mac and whatever file handling software is used on linux):

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Humm, i think he wants an options in the asset contextual menu (like “open file emplacement” in mozilla firefox downloads window for example) to directly access at the file (open the parent folder) and then lets him open it with another software…am i right?

EDIT: Errr, too late …my browser has not been properly refreshed ;).

This should be doable with the java Desktop API, http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/Desktop.html

@haze, yupp thats it.

btw, I think it is a good idea =)

@haze said: EDIT: Errr, too late ...my browser has not been properly refreshed ;).

I know the feeling;)

Oh ok.
I fail to see the use case though. You can do whatever operation directly in the SDK file or project view. Why do you need that so often?

Actually I got that option on mac in the “Files” view…
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless theres emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

1 Like
@normen said: Actually I got that option on mac in the "Files" view..

Windows users don’t seem to be so lucky. Could we have that too?

@kd12 said: Windows users don't seem to be so lucky. Could we have that too?
I guess so, I didn't add either though ^^ The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless theres emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.
@kd12 said: Windows users don't seem to be so lucky. Could we have that too?
Here, this is what I have, sure its not there on windows? Would be kind of strange if the NetBeans guys only added that for OSX? The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.
1 Like

this brings back good memories of 1 of my first threads created:

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/an-open-folder-option-for-files-in-the-projectfiles-panel/

Sure, i’ve just check it,we have well the 3 first and that’s all ^^.

Tehe @wezrule, that change was actually taking away the option to add random menu entries to any file in the assets folder in the end ^^
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

awesome :slight_smile:

@normen said: Would be kind of strange if the NetBeans guys only added that for OSX?
Strange but true :-/