Exporters

hello everybody!

I need to export 3ds or export another format and then converting back to 3ds with an external program.

Is there a solution? Doesn’t has to support bones or animations, I just want to modify and apply new textures, the geometry will stay the same.

The best solution would be a simple 3ds exporter…

thanks.

:slight_smile:

I’m a little confused.

So you want a jME program that exports the currently viewed model into the 3ds format?

Why not use some 3d modeling software to do that?

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding the question.

try out wings3d it can import and export alot of different formats

oops, that was me.

Thanks for the tip with wings3d.

Maybe it is possible to convert the jME-XML-format with that one?

Automatically start some program via java and convert to 3ds?

This is a little confusing to me as well, if you are creating 3DS, exporting to .jme then you don’t need to export back to 3DS, you have the original.

For example, typical work flow:

Using your modeler you create a building (.3ds file). You load it into your .jme application, and someone says, you need to add more rust to the roof due to rain. You’d then go back to your modeler, open your .3ds file, modify it, export it to .jme and load it into your application.

No exporting back to .3ds from .jme in that situation.

Are you doing something different?

"mojomonk" wrote:
Are you doing something different?
yes, I don't want to have to open another modeler.
Most of the work I had to do in the modeller should be done "automatically" in my program.
Think about a large city with many houses, you don't want to open an existing model and modify each single roof by hand.
It's something experimental for university.

Ok, jME doesn’t have a modeling package, so do you mean you want a plug-in in your modeler that shows the jME display inside your tool?

Sorry, still trying to grasp this situation.

I’d like to say

1. all objects with texture "roof_red.jpg" are wooden (material parameters in my extra .txt file)
  2. cast rays, simulate particles, alter the textures
  3. save each roof with its own texture "roof_red_001.jpg"
  4. being able to load the new scene with 3dstudio

edit: and use jME to have a preview and functions like “get objects hit by a ray” so I don’t have to code everything on my own

Okay, I think I understand now. I’m still pretty new to jME but I’ll try to answer what I can and then I’m sure any of the more experienced people will chime in with corrections and/or additions.

1) cast a ray and detect which object is hit.

Yes ... jMe has built in picking. Check out some of the picking demos. Also check out this thread for a demo done by another jME user.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/viewtopic.php?t=1424
2) from this object you get the u-v coordinates of the intersection point

Yes, you can use picking to get triangles and/or objects which you can get the u,v coords from.

3) give the object a new texture (the old one with a little black dot where the intersection occurred)

Yes, just load a new texture for the object by assigning it a new render state. (I think .. haven't done it yet myself hehe)

3) save and load the scene in jME internal format without losing information

I don't think there is a way to export an entire scenegraph yet but I know I've read threads discussing it. Might be in the works?

4) there is NO way to export jME scenes for further usage with other programs

You can do it, but as far as I know nobody has done it yet.

5) can I code plugins in java for 3dstudio (affecting the whole scene)?

Sorry, never used 3dStudio before

6) is it possible to mix jME with gui (AWT-stuff, maybe in an extra window)?

Yes, absolutely. Check out Renases particle editor. In addition guurk is currently working on a new GUI system for jME. There's also another one in the works here.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/viewtopic.php?t=1433

save and load the scene in jME internal format without losing information

Yes, there is actually! Check out JmeBinaryWriter. It will write an entire scene (a node in essence) to a file complete with all render states and everything!

can I code plugins in java for 3dstudio (affecting the whole scene)?

I dont understand what you mean...3dstudio max has a built in language called MaxScript which is incompatible with java script. Its more like a mix between VB and Javascript.

If you want to go the other way, as in export from jme to 3dsmax, you probably can write an importer for the jme format in maxscript and you just load the scene into max usings its various methods.

Infact, i'l have a go at that...I think im gonna need a *similar* thing for my game...But i can't promise anything

DP

cool!

Took half a day until I realized that I had to use lwjgl .94 (read it somewhere hidden in the faqs) instead of .95 but 5 minutes later the first results looked very promising!

I dont understand what you mean...3dstudio max has a built in language called MaxScript which is incompatible with java script. Its more like a mix between VB and Javascript.

I hoped for support of Jython (like in Blender)

Infact, i'l have a go at that...I think im gonna need a *similar* thing for my game...But i can't promise anything

I hope importing/exporting is of minor importance for me now. I tried to read/import/convert the models I was given and I had problems (in jme NIO out of memory whilst texture loading etc) even with expensive modelers. I think the models are fucked up, so I hope I can convince everybody that its ok to juse this internal format first.
Until someone writes the magic import script ;)
:D

Just read that the texture importing error happened because no none powers of 2 are supported :'(