Far render

Yes, they are alternative solutions so you don’t need both.

You will find this a lot in games programming. There are often many ways to do something and it can be very implementation specific and as much art as science to work out which way is best.

Hmm, then I fear I don’t get where the point cloud has to be placed. I have a 3x3x3 chunk matrix. I guess the stars in the inner one are displayed normal size, but the ones in the near chunks are point clouded? But where should this point cloud be placed, then? Especially to avoid sudden appearing?

Maybe I’m supposed to do smaller chunks - mine are each of one third of the maximal value a float can contain.

The 3x3x3 chunk grid should always be at near resolution so that you always have at least one full chunk between you and the scale change. The far stuff can be done using a differently sized chunk grid or just a larger one… I don’t know how you are keeping your data so I can’t really comment.

The 3x3x3 of proper scaled chunks is important otherwise you will always have nasty transitions as you reach the edge of the center chunk.

So I should make my chunks smaller, and put the point cloud at the back of the furthest ones?

That’s the idea.

I see… So that I can keep the highest precision I could using floats…

But it means a lot of chunk loading then. To create the point cloud, I need to preload chunks I guess.

I’m thinking of something, when you leave your galaxy and should see another one in the far, you should see it in its whole… How is it achieved usually?

I’ve been taking a look at the example you pointed me, but I don’t see how I can place the points by myself? I mean, they’ll be randomly placed here, whereas I want them at exact position.

Do I have no choice than having a random point cloud?

I’d also like to be able to click them and obtain data on them; maybe I need to place them in another tree so that the collision solver won’t crash because of too big tree?

By the way, thanks to all the answers given so far :).

@lightmax said:
I'm thinking of something, when you leave your galaxy and should see another one in the far, you should see it in its whole... How is it achieved usually?

It's another one with a number of solutions. A common approach would be to render it once and then use that image on the skybox.